UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Top 10 Moments of 2005-06

Dane Pound

The year isn't quite over with Pollozi and Green competeing in California but I thought I'd post my top 10 moments of the last year so far.

10. (Tie) Admittedly watching my first MLS game ever to see Bouna Coundoul. Watching UA recuit Mike Yocum on ESPN.

9. Football's big win over Fordham. Granted Fordham was down this year but still a good win. My enjoyment was augmented by the Fordham message boards guarantee of a Rams win.

8. The AE Tourney in Bing. Surprised myself by having a good time there. Helped by the fact that we lived to the second day of the tournament for the first time. Bing losing to Vermont helped quite a bit too.

7. Lax knocking Stony Brook out of the AE playoffs. Judged by the sucess of the past few years not the best season but not all bad when you take out the Seawolves.

6. Volleyball's win over Syracuse. Televised, very good crowd and a dramatic victory. Fun thing to be a part of.

5. The VCU Game. Granted this was a loss and on the road so I watched it at the Pub. The turnout there and the energy were enough to think we were on to something good.

4. Siggers shot to beat Bing on the road. You can argue the Siena win was a bigger regular season game but this was for first place and was as sweet a win as I can remember. I've never seen a building empty as fast as the Events Center did that day.

3. Will Brown getting a new contract.

2. The UConn game. Amazing week leading up to the game and quite a performance once the game started. I got home to find phone messages and emails from friends and alumni around the country who'd watched the game.

1. Beating Vermont for the AE Championship. I'm including the previous days Browntown hype and fun. We got to campus early that morning and ran into Alumni 92 and company. The fun started then and went on all day. Considering how empty the RACC had been for games just a couple of years ago to see that scene was incredible. After the nets were cut down my wife handed me the cellphone and said "just call me and let me know at which bar I need to pick you up." Eight hours later or so I made the call.

All good choices. I'd only add the Albany lax victory over UMass (the institution at which I have been employed for the past 29 years), making it 3 in a row against the team that finished as runner-up for the national title. UMass will always be a distant second re my allegiance.

7. Lax knocking Stony Brook out of the AE playoffs. Judged by the sucess of the past few years not the best season but not all bad when you take out the Seawolves.

14901[/snapback]

Granted the teams record was worse than years past, but with all the rebuilding they needed to do for this season, they did a spectacular job. A preseason pick to finish #2 to UMBC, seemed very generous, seeing as at that point goalie was still up in the air, and there was no X man. Preseason polls picked it right. Like I posted at www.laxpower.com. Preseason grade B, post season A-.

All good choices.  I'd only add the Albany lax victory over UMass (the institution at which I have been employed for the past 29 years), making it 3 in a row against the team that finished as runner-up for the national title.  UMass will always be a distant second re my allegiance.

14906[/snapback]

Good call there. UMass goes tothe national finals and lost to UA, how sweet that was again. Also, do not forget the near victory over SU and Hopkins.