UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brian Lillis

Dowling has played the 3rd and 7 th ranked 4A (lagest schools) schools in Iowa in their last 2 game they lost to #3 Johnston by 1 and beat #7 Ottumwa by 11.

Maroons pull upset, despite another T

Reichardt's late basket helps Dowling Catholic upend No. 7 Ottumwa.

By MIKE MALLOY

Register Correspondent

01/07/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This time the technical foul wasn't as costly.

Dowling Catholic rebounded from a harrowing one-point loss to beat seventh-ranked Ottumwa, 68-57, in a CIML boys" basketball game Tuesday.

Dowling was assessed technicals in the fourth quarter of Friday's 63-62 loss to Johnston, and picked up a third Tuesday when forward David Ferezy argued a foul called against him early in the third quarter.

"The only good thing about our emotions right now is that it shows we want to win, but we've got to get them under control," Maroons point guard Brian Lillis said.

Lillis, who had a technical against Johnston, played with both flair and control, scoring 15 points with nine rebounds, along with an assist on the basket that put the Maroons ahead for good.

Lillis drove to the free-throw line with his team trailing, 52-51, with two minutes left, and fired to Austin Reichardt, who promptly shot and swished a three-pointer from the baseline.

"It wasn't a designed play at all," Reichardt said. "Lillis saw me open, and I was able to hit the shot."

Ottumwa coach Mike Holmes said the decisive factor was Dowling's height advantage.

"That one's on me. We were trying to help inside and we thought we had to make a guy like Reichardt beat us," Holmes said.

The Maroons (4-3) outrebounded Ottumwa (6-1), 23-15, in the second half after getting just 10 rebounds in the first half.

"That was our main emphasis at halftime," Maroons coach Joe Katich said.

The Bulldogs got 12 second-quarter points from Craig Martindale, but were unable to go inside with success in the second half.

Ottumwa was giving up 41.2 points per game prior to its worst defensive outing of the season.

"Our mantra on this game is that 57 is enough to win. We just couldn't step up defensively," Holmes said.

Katich had a different mantra.

"The last thing I said at practice (Monday) was, "Coaches coach, players play, and keep your mouth shut," " he said. "I thought they learned a lesson but obviously they need a reminder."

OTTUMWA (57) - Martindale 7-14 3-4 18, Wetrich 5-10 4-5 16, White 3-7 3-3 9, Crosser 2-3 2-2 6, Thomas 1-7 1-2 3, Kaller 1-6 0-0 2, Creamer 0-0 2-2 2, Downing 0-1 1-2 1. Totals 19-48 16-20.

DOWLING CATHOLIC (68) - Lillis 5-15 4-5 15, Flander 7-13 1-3 15, McConeghey 6-13 1-1 13, Reichardt 4-5 0-0 11, Whitely 1-4 4-4 6, Ferezy 1-6 2-2 4, Wilkinson 0-3 2-2 2, Seidl 0-0 2-2 2. Totals 24-59 16-19.

Ottumwa.13 14 11 19 - 57

Dowling Catholic.17 10 16 25 - 68

Three-point goals - Ottumwa 3-15 (Wetrich 2-4, Martindale 1-2, Thomas 0-4, White 0-2, Kaller 0-2, Downing 0-1); Dowling Catholic 4-13 (Reichardt 3-4, Lillis 1-5, Wilkinson 0-3, Whitely 0-1). Fouls - Ottumwa 12, Dowling Catholic 21. Techincal - Ferezy. Fouled out - Kaller, Ferezy.

Edited by Patch

Nice performance by Lillis and judging by his increased scoring and rebounding it seems like they don't have him playing the point anymore. Hopefully he gets those technical fouls out of his system this year because they are not going to fly at UA.

Edited by Dane Pound

Dane Pound

"The only good thing about our emotions right now is that it shows we want to win, but we've got to get them under control," Maroons point guard Brian Lillis said.

Evidently he's still playing the point.

Coach Brown will take care of the "Ts", I hope.

Dane Pound

That's what is so intriguing about Lillis he's a 6'5" athlete who can play the 1, 2 or 3. He is versatile, skilled and from what I've heard has a very high basketball IQ.

Coach Brown loves those types of guys much like Coach Wolffe from BU. BU has a nice mix of instinctive players and players with high hoops IQs