UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

scholarships question

This may be a moot point with the whole Brown situation at this point, but I thought I'd post it anyway. So I wrote to Mark Singelais and asked him the following in regards to his article:

(I read your article "New Stars for the Danes?" and came away with a question I was hoping you could clarify. The last sentence in the article says "Brown said he'll continue to recruit this spring to add one or two players to the roster". This confused me as I thought the 2007 class was completed with Ambrose, Raffa and Billy Allen on their way in and Wilson, Siggers and Bauman on the way out. Add those to the 10 returning players and that gets you to the NCAA limit of 13 scholarship players.

So getting to my question - would the one or two players Coach Brown is looking to add this spring be walk-on(s) or is there something I'm missing regarding the scholarship situation?)

He was nice enough to give me this response:

(Sorry to not get back to you sooner. I've been a little tied up with other UAlbany basketball matters, as you can probably imagine. As far as the scholarships go, I'm not sure that Tim Ambrose is going to be on scholarship next year, he might get some other kind of need-based financial aid, which would open one scholarship up.

One clarification. Despite what this writer says, it does not matter if a hoops player is given "some other kind of need-based financial aid". According to NCAA rules, if any recruited athlete is given any aid from the school at all - athletic, academic, need-based, etc - then he is a "counter" and counts against a school's 13-man limit. The only way that Ambrose will not be a "counter", assuming that he gets any financial aid, is if we was not recruited by Albany.

This may be a moot point with the whole Brown situation at this point, but I thought I'd post it anyway. So I wrote to Mark Singelais and asked him the following in regards to his article:

(I read your article "New Stars for the Danes?" and came away with a question I was hoping you could clarify. The last sentence in the article says "Brown said he'll continue to recruit this spring to add one or two players to the roster". This confused me as I thought the 2007 class was completed with Ambrose, Raffa and Billy Allen on their way in and Wilson, Siggers and Bauman on the way out. Add those to the 10 returning players and that gets you to the NCAA limit of 13 scholarship players.

So getting to my question - would the one or two players Coach Brown is looking to add this spring be walk-on(s) or is there something I'm missing regarding the scholarship situation?)

He was nice enough to give me this response:

(Sorry to not get back to you sooner. I've been a little tied up with other UAlbany basketball matters, as you can probably imagine. As far as the scholarships go, I'm not sure that Tim Ambrose is going to be on scholarship next year, he might get some other kind of need-based financial aid, which would open one scholarship up.

One clarification. Despite what this writer says, it does not matter if a hoops player is given "some other kind of need-based financial aid". According to NCAA rules, if any recruited athlete is given any aid from the school at all - athletic, academic, need-based, etc - then he is a "counter" and counts against a school's 13-man limit. The only way that Ambrose will not be a "counter", assuming that he gets any financial aid, is if we was not recruited by Albany.

What if the financial aid is through the federal government and not from the University itself?

What if the financial aid is through the federal government and not from the University itself?

If it is from some federal government program and the college itself has NO control over the program and who gets the money, then that player might not be a "counter" under NCAA rules. To not be a counter, however, this would have to be the only aid the athlete received (assuming he is a recruited athlete).

Archived