UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Haven football program eliminated

Just saw this post on the AE board. UNH was a powerhouse in the 90's. When I was at UA in the 80's we played them when they transitioning from DIII to DII.

They would play play their playoff games in the Yale bowl and get really good crowds - their home field was horrible (University Field looks like a stadium compared to their field). They actually sent several players to the NFL - they were a very good program. They were a pretty consistent playoff team in the mid 90's.

Not sure what happened to the program - what is happening to all the football programs in the Northeast?

Maybe UA can pick up a couple of players.

New Haven may have been the only scholarship D-II program left in the northeast. Southern Conn is now non-scholly and wouldn't play them.

This is probably a money-saving move, as they are also now able to cut four women's sports and stay in title IX compliance.

Originally my post said it was unfair to play the Title IX card. I still think it's unfair to say that is the only reason, but alum72 is correct in saying they did also eliminate three women's sports in conjunction with football to save money for the overall school and athletics department.

http://www.newhaven.edu/athletics/news/200...scontinue04.htm

One of the main reasons they got rid of football when they did is that they couldn't afford to put together a "regional" schedule, as was said on this board. There was no one around left to play, costing them more money to branch out nationally. They just don't have the money to go D-I, and apparantly don't want to step back to DIII in everything.

Edited by DaneFan2k3