UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What happened to Carl Ross?

It is interesting that Carl has garnered attention again this week as I have a personal update regarding the man.

One of my friends just recently received his M.B.A. from Duke, and still attends many of the basketball games. When I informed him that UAlbany would be playing there this year he informed me that:

1.) He could get me graduate student tickets (An offer I declined as a result of the commitment level that it would involve).

2.) He would potentially bring a large "Free Carl Ross" poster to the game, creating national exposure to a once championed cause.

I will be watching the Deuce eagerly to see if my friend lives up to his end of the bargain...

UA_MA_2000 - Thanks for re-posting that link.

After re-reading all the varying opinions and comments about Coach and his decision it is real easy to see how "VETERAN" Coaches keep their distance from their general fan base.

Brown is a very young coach (36?) and tries to be accessible and friendly. He'll chat with the average fan just as well as the high profile alum.

When all goes good (like we win) most of the great intelligentia (aka fanatics) pat him on the back.

When something happens which they don't like or can't comprehend some of the same intelligentia are ready/willing to throw the coach under the bus.

I would expect in years to come (after being burnt by UA fans the coach will become more cautious) the general fan base will have less personal contact with the Coach.

What's the old adage "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me"

I don't think any coach wants to get close to the Brutus's of the world.

Just my opinion.

I agree that Coach Brown has been amazingly accessible, and that he has personally brought attention to the University that at one time seemed impossible.

I also agree that a coach has the right to choose which players to keep on his team, and which to dismiss.

I think we can all agree that it is fun to watch a growing program, and that releasing Carl Ross from his scholarship MAY have contributed to that goal.

Where I am slighlty more reluctant to agree is that a coach has to make him or herslf less accessible because some fans have strong opinons that they feel compelled to share.

Dealing with scrutiny is part and parcel to the position, and isolation is not the only reasonable approach to it. While more thoughfulness might be needed by some posters, it seems that the same scrutiny that has been applied to Coach Brown by these posters has now been applied to them.

Dealing with scrutiny is part and parcel to the position, and isolation is not the only reasonable approach to it. While more thoughfulness might be needed by some posters, it seems that the same scrutiny that has been applied to Coach Brown by these posters has now been applied to them. - haggyland

By who, another poster.

That's what fan boards are all about - discussion & debate by people of usually limited (true knowledge) of exactly what's going on. None of us are in the lockerroom, at practice and sitting in on private discussions. But yet we all have our ideas who should start/not start and who should play more/less. That's the greatness of being an armchair quarterback we're under no pressure.

Fans (fanatics) are allowed their opinions and I'm sure most coaches understand that, all I was trying to say is IN MY OPINION posters should think before posting (I know first hand that's a mind expanding idea for me) and if posters can substantiate their position so be it.

Being exposed to scrutiny surely comes with the job so therefore an experienced person limits their contact with certain individuals or groups.

isolation is not the only reasonable approach to it...... Haggyland

Being you are so knowledgeable and I assume experienced in this area, what are your reasonable approaches?

isolation is not the only reasonable approach to it...... Haggyland

Being you are so knowledgeable and I assume experienced in this area, what are your reasonable approaches?

Off the top of my head:

Tolerance, Acceptance, and Education.

But I suppose in your world the only approach would be condescension.

Tolerance, Acceptance, and Education. - Haggyland
Maybe those approaches were/would be considered?

But I suppose in your world the only approach would be condescension. - Haggyland

Your opinion of how I work is greatly appreciated, I do respect the opinion of others even if I discuss/debate or disagree with them.

I'm out of this thread

Archived