UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Work goes long way for Kenny

By JAMES ALLEN, Staff writer

Click byline for more stories by writer.

First published: Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sean Kenny considers hitting the weakest part of his game. Greenville High probably would not share that opinion.

Kenny, a three-sport athlete from Chatham who is set to play college football at the University at Albany as a place-kicker, had a day on Friday that baseball players only wish they could experience.

The senior belted four home runs -- including two on inside-the-park shots -- when the Panthers posted a 19-3 victory.

Prior to Thursday, Kenny had not hit a home run in 2008. He pinch hit against Greenville Thursday and belted a home run.

"He has all types of raw power," Chatham coach Scott Steltz said. "Sean does not have the most fluid of swings, but he has put in a great deal of hard work. He hits the ball with pure speed and explosiveness."

"I had been in a hitting slump," said Kenny, who hit out of the No. 7 slot in the lineup Friday.

Kenny's first home run to right and his second shot in right center both were inside-the-park clouts. The senior's third home run cleared the fence in left center.

"I was just trying to make good contact," Kenny said of his first three home runs. "On the fourth one, coach told me I had two pitches because you don't get a chance to hit four home runs too often."

Kenny crushed the second pitch deep over the fence in left for his school-record fourth home run.

"I had some teachers (Monday) ask me if I get any special privileges. No, I wish," Kenny said.

Bazzoffi selects UAlbany: Wanting to be part of a program on the rise appealed to Antonio Bazzoffi. So did playing close to home.

Bazzoffi, a senior lineman from La Salle Institute, has decided to play his college football for coach Bob Ford at the University at Albany.

"He is an outstanding coach and I am really looking forward to playing for him," Bazzoffi said.

La Salle captured the Section II Class AA Super Bowl in 2007, rallying from a 17-0 deficit in the fourth quarter to post a 28-17 victory over Guilderland.

Bazzoffi will be reunited with La Salle teammate Guy Robichaud, who already committed to play for the Great Danes.

"That somewhat influenced my decision," Bazzoffi said. "It is better to play with someone I know."

Citriniti headed to Hartford: Niskayuna senior goalie Luke Citriniti, a second team All-Area Large School selection by the Times Union in 2007, will continue his soccer career at the collegiate level for coach Dan Gaspar at the University of Hartford of the America East Conference.

Citriniti played a key role in Niskayuna's run to the Section II Class AA title.

Hartford finished 7-4-6 overall and 2-1-5 in America East play. Gaspar, known as a goalie guru, loses all-conference performer Matt Glaeser to graduation.

James Allen can be reached at 454-5062 or by e-mail at jallen@timesunion.com.

Archived