UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

America East ROY to Remain at Boston University

America East Rookie of Year to stay at Boston U.

June 10, 2009 at 7:15 pm by Mark Singelais

Boston University received good news Wednesday as America East Rookie of the Year Jake O’Brien decided to return to the Terriers for his sophomore year.

O’Brien, a 6-foot-8 forward, had announced his intention to transfer after the school fired head coach Dennis Wolff.

O’Brien visited Xavier and St. Joseph’s.

The return of O’Brien along with all-conference guards Corey Lowe and John Holland should make Boston U. a strong contender in America East next season under new coach Pat Chambers.

Here’s the release:

BOSTON - After asking for his release and the opportunity to explore other options following the conclusion of the 2008-09 season, America East Rookie of the Year and rising sophomore Jake O’Brien has decided to remain with the Boston University men’s basketball team, first-year head coach Patrick Chambers announced Wednesday. The BC High graduate was considering both Xavier and St. Joseph’s.

“Our players and coaching staff are excited about Jake’s return,” said Chambers. “We look forward to working with him and preparing for what we hope will be a successful season.”

The 6-foot-8 forward from Weymouth, Mass., set the record for minutes played by a BU freshman with 1,043 while finishing third on the team in scoring (12.5 ppg) and fourth in rebounding (4.6 rpg). He hit 61 3-pointers during the season, tying for ninth all-time in the program’s record book and led the team in scoring four separate times, including a 25-point performance at UMBC.

“Seeing all the schools out there the past few weeks was a good learning experience for me because it taught me to just go with my gut feeling, and I realized that BU is the right spot for me,” O’Brien said. “I certainly want to continue my career here, and I’m really excited to get back to work with all the guys. I’m looking forward to building a relationship with the new coaching staff and trying to go and have a great season.”

The Terriers will bring back an experienced team this upcoming year, featuring a total of nine seniors and first-team all-America East honorees Corey Lowe and John Holland.

Archived