UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

http://www.wbng.com/sports/53263272.html

The Jets have left Cortland, for now, and tonight take the field for the first time when they open their preseason schedule against St. Louis.

While most eyes will be on quarterbacks Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez, one player with local ties will be fighting for a roster spot.

UAlbany grad Rashad Barksdale is listed as a fourth-string cornerback, but even getting a chance in the NFL is surprising enough.

Barksdale's first love is baseball and he played the sport all through college.

Only in his final year in Albany did he join the football team.

An impressive workout got him drafted by Philadelphia in the sixth round of the '07 Draft.

But the Eagles cut him in training camp.

He then spent 2008 on the Kansas City practice squad, was released, signed by the Giants, released again and now is trying to make it with the Jets.

"I'm at the top of my learning curve and I think this is it for me," says Barksdale. "I need to have a good year, a good training camp and just make improvements. I think the coaches like to see I'm just coming in here and learn the defense quick and make plays and that's really all I can do."

Barksdale made nine tackles while with Kansas City.

The Jets will come back to Cortland for two practices on Sunday.

Barksdale ended up with 2 tackles against St. Louis. I watched the replay on the NFL network this morning and he looked pretty good at safety. Sticking his nose into just about every run play.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived