UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Ok, if no one else is going to mention it then I will. Looks like Turner Gill is off to Kansas. As a fellow SUNY grad I think it will hurt Buffalo's program. He was a good coach and hard to replace, especially in these hard economic times. Can you imagine the bloody murder that people will scream when SUNY Buffalo makes a million dollar offer to a new coach? On the other hand, SUNY Buffalo (Pres Simpson) did everything to throw Binghamton and Albany under the bus so I still hate them. Yeah, so in total I'm glad Turner Gill is gone. Now if that agitator president Simpson would leave, this would be a Merry Christmas.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/8329/gill-to-be-formally-announced-as-kus-coach-on-monday

We won't have to worry about anyone being up in arms over an offer. Gill was only making $180,000 a year at Buffalo. Less than a good number of FCS coaches.

Which makes sense considering Buffalo (and the vast majority of the rest of the MAC) is a glorified FCS school.

Gill's total salary was actually $401,300 per year, $200K from base salary and $200K from other income. He was the 3rd-highest compensated MAC coach after Frank Solich and Al Golden.

My mistake - I was looking at an article before his most recent salary increase.

Gill's total salary was actually $401,300 per year, $200K from base salary and $200K from other income. He was the 3rd-highest compensated MAC coach after Frank Solich and Al Golden.

I reiterate, prepare for anti-athletic malcontents to scream bloody murder when they get the details of the pay package.

I reiterate, prepare for anti-athletic malcontents to scream bloody murder when they get the details of the pay package.

Do you mean the pay package for our next coach? Looking over the leaked preliminary list of coaches AD Manual has in mind and their resumes, I wouldn't believe we pay the next coach much more than Gill earned. It would be prudent to just pay to stay Top 3 in the MAC. The coaching search has started well compared to the last coaching search, as this time Manual is receiving many calls from coach's reps. It's a tough job but we're no longer the worst, FWIW. Point being, we shouldn't have to over-pay.

Gill's contract wasn't ever an issue here. UB's anti-athletics push was in the late 90's when we were quickly moving up, Pataki was cutting SUNY academic funding, and Rutger's prof's were causing waves nationally when they pushed to downgrade athletics. Every city has their small-time bloggers that scream about the excesses of institutions and athletics, but there are even fewer in Buffalo. So many are upreoccupied with the salaries of Bills and Sabres players and coaches, and state subsidies to Ralph Wilson Stadium, they don't even raise an eyebrow to what UB coaches make.

Archived