UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Monahan

Story in today's TU about CBA's Brian Monahan. He was named the TU's player of the year. I guess I missed his college announement because it says in the story he is going to DII St. Michaels. Meanwhile Josh Duell is headed to Burlington to join Vermont as they come back from the NCAAs. Am I missing something here? Player of the year going DII and the third or fourth best guy on his team is going to Vermont?

Edited by Dane Pound

Monahan is a very solid player but Doell has a better 4/5 man body type. He "could" wind up being a Sheftic type player at Vermont.

Monahan is more of a three in a 5s body. Not athletic enough to play the 3 and not really strong enough to play the 4 at the DI level.

You can be an excellent HS player and not be an excellent college player. Recruiting is an inexact science but in this day and age if he was a sure fire DI kid he would have plenty of contact because CBA has been seen against alot of good comp and he's played AAU.

I'm sure you're right I was just surprised because I've heard about Monahan for so long. There were even rumors on the $iena board that we were looking at him.

I'm sure since I'm questioning Duell's abilities he'll become an all-conference performer in the AE.

Classof72/74

At the risk of sounding incredibly naive' I wonder if their respective choices had anything to do with academics and/or the admissions criteria of the respective institutions ? - Classof72/74

I don't know about them academically but I know our staff looked at Monahan, Duell and even Bova who's a Junior. I would expect them to be solid students being they attend CBA.

Neither Monahan or Duell were deemed to meet our immediate needs and I think the staff is still following Bova.

The Danes signed Dyson over Duell and really like Wilson and Lillis for potential 3s. We also have Levi and "Q" for the 3 and when we play 3 guards Jordan would be considered a 3.

Duell is basically a project at the 4/5.

Monahan can't play the 4 at the DI level and may not have the quicks to play and defend at the 3 spot. Those are are probably the reasons he's going DII and wasn't heavily pursued by DI schools..

Edited by Patch