UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Presidential Finalists

Phoenix

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former RPI Provost Robert Palazzo is also no longer a candidate.. http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/UAlbany-presidential-finalists-withdraw-3746773.php

That leaves:

Carlos Santiago, chief executive officer of the Hispanic College Fund and a former UAlbany provost

John Roberts, dean of University of Houston College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences

Valeria Hardcastle, dean of the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Cincinnati

Carlo Montemagno, dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Cincinnati

Steve Ballard, chancellor of East Carolina University

Former RPI Provost Robert Palazzo is also no longer a candidate.. http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/UAlbany-presidential-finalists-withdraw-3746773.php

That leaves:

Carlos Santiago, chief executive officer of the Hispanic College Fund and a former UAlbany provost

John Roberts, dean of University of Houston College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences

Valeria Hardcastle, dean of the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Cincinnati

Carlo Montemagno, dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Cincinnati

I don't like where this is going. Only 1 candidate has a science background and he/she will be managing a $16B nano mega complex?!? Not going to happen... the state will take it away before it turns it over to amateur hour. We're going back to a "Karen Hitchcock" level of president. Carlo is our only science candidate. Steve at least brings a neutral or better position to athletics so that's something. I'd cut the other three now. I'd rather not have a president than Karen Hitchcock. I think we all remember those days.

It's not exactly engineering/physics, but "Hardcastle’s areas of research specialization are cognitive neuroscience, philosophy of neuroscience/biology, bioethics, and philosophy of mind. Her areas of teaching interest include metaphysics, neuroscience, and neuropsychology."

Also, an interesting tidbit to note..Santiago succeeded SUNY Chancellor Zimpher as Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee after he left UAlbany when Zimpher went to Cincinnati.

That leaves:

I don't like where this is going. Only 1 candidate has a science background and he/she will be managing a $16B nano mega complex?!? Not going to happen... the state will take it away before it turns it over to amateur hour. We're going back to a "Karen Hitchcock" level of president. Carlo is our only science candidate. Steve at least brings a neutral or better position to athletics so that's something. I'd cut the other three now. I'd rather not have a president than Karen Hitchcock. I think we all remember those days.

I'll judge the candidate once they are named president and start to put together a track record. Many of these people are HIGHLY intelligent and for the most part have been in some sort of leadership position. While the scope of the job (leadership) may change the fundamental principals of who a candidate is as a person, leader, work ethic, vision etc. can and should be carried into this high profile position. As a current student and strong supporter of the University, as long as the candidate has the right temperament and qualifications I'm OK with whomever they settle on.

Edited by Clickclack

As a matter of interest...can anyone brief me on the qualifications of the late President Hall? What was his background prior to taking over UA? Sorry...his arrival was before my time as both fan and student.

Came to UA as the sitting President of Utah State University, was in a leadership position at Ohio State before that (IIRC). Was seen as a bit of a coup to get him to come from USU to UA.

As a matter of interest...can anyone brief me on the qualifications of the late President Hall? What was his background prior to taking over UA? Sorry...his arrival was before my time as both fan and student.

Came to UA as the sitting President of Utah State University, was in a leadership position at Ohio State before that (IIRC). Was seen as a bit of a coup to get him to come from USU to UA.

*sigh*...sounds like great qualifications...

Ballard founded the Margaret Chase Smith Center for Public Policy at Maine, then directed the UM/State Govt. Partnership Program, which seems to fit well with our Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy. While not a strictly 'science' guy, Wikipedia says his 'teaching and research have centered on leadership in the public sector, research and development and the innovation process, public policy, and the utilization of scientific and technical knowledge.' so I think I'd be OK with him, especially with the sports plus.

Ballard founded the Margaret Chase Smith Center for Public Policy at Maine, then directed the UM/State Govt. Partnership Program, which seems to fit well with our Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy. While not a strictly 'science' guy, Wikipedia says his 'teaching and research have centered on leadership in the public sector, research and development and the innovation process, public policy, and the utilization of scientific and technical knowledge.' so I think I'd be OK with him, especially with the sports plus.

Of what little I know of him...(yes talking out of my butt, I'll admit) Ballard would be my guy...