UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lacrosse "Fall Ball"

I was looking at the "Fall Ball" schedule on Lax Power and did NOT see anything for the UA men. The women appear to be in two events. I know the Lax Power schedule is tentative and in flux. Anyone know if the men WILL be participating in any fall ball events. With all the new "speed of the game" changes and experiments going on, it would seem important to be involved.

On the lax power forum a blog stated we would not be in any fall ball events because it would allow us "more spring games/scrimmages."

A responder wrote: " I was wondering the same thing! If it is a conscious effort to eliminate the hype from this Summer and direct focus back to the field, I applaude it."

Another commented about the apparent "blackout" of information.

I have three questions if anyone is willing to answer:

1. Does no fall ball really = more spring games/scrimmages?

2. With all the changes--shot clock, face off rules, etc, isn't it important to be involved this fall (many schools are in two or even three events)?

3. What was the "hype" from this summer and why is it like pulling teeth (as uofalbany commented) to get any information about men's lacrosse?????????????

Edited by dslyank

• 2 weeks later...

On the lax power forum a blog stated we would not be in any fall ball events because it would allow us "more spring games/scrimmages."

A responder wrote: " I was wondering the same thing! If it is a conscious effort to eliminate the hype from this Summer and direct focus back to the field, I applaude it."

Another commented about the apparent "blackout" of information.

I have three questions if anyone is willing to answer:

1. Does no fall ball really = more spring games/scrimmages?

2. With all the changes--shot clock, face off rules, etc, isn't it important to be involved this fall (many schools are in two or even three events)?

3. What was the "hype" from this summer and why is it like pulling teeth (as uofalbany commented) to get any information about men's lacrosse?????????????

#1 Don't know.. maybe a traveling budget thing.. maybe save resources for spring? Just a guess.

It's been floated around that if a program doesn't have a large number of walk ons/tryouts for the team that year,

and the roster is settled, some decide to stay home, focusing on the instruction, etc....

#2 I'm not sure it makes much difference.. I'm sure they're giving it lots of attention on jff as I write..

#3 The hype I'd imagine is both the movie Crooked Arrows that came out, and the Iroquois Natl's beating the team usa for the 1st time... both involvoing UA players..

Edited by uofalbany

For anyone that missed this:

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The UAlbany men's lacrosse team will conclude its Fall Ball season with a pair of home scrimmages held over Alumni Weekend on Friday, October 12th and Saturday, October 13th. The Great Danes will welcome back all Great Dane Alumni to John Fallon Field for several events.

On Friday, Oct. 12th, the UAlbany squad will hold a scrimmage against The Hill Academy at 7 p.m. The Hill Academy is a Post-Graduate school in Vaughn, Ontario. The team is coached by former UAlbany standout Merrick Thomson ‘07. Thomson graduated as the programs all-time scoring leader with 244 points (188 goals, 56 assists).

On Saturday at noon, the Great Danes will play an Alumni Game, pitting the current student-athletes against a squad made up of former UAlbany players. All events will take place on John Fallon Field.

To commemorate the end of the fall season, UAlbany midfielder Brendan Murphy put together a video with clips and highlights from practice sessions. Murphy filmed with a helmet cam, so fans can get a player's-eye-view of what it's like to be a Great Dane.

I watched the first half of the lacrosse scrimmage Friday against Hill {pretty weak competition I assume} and we were totally dominant; and saw about 20+ minutes of the scrimmage against the alumni before going to the football game. There were no rosters provided at either event, nor is the roster up on the web site yet. It would have been nice to know which alumni were playing at least! The UA web announced both scrimmages, but no follow as to results, how the team is progressing, whatever??

Anyone in the know have a more "scientific" evaluation of the team so far? Anyone know why team information seems to be so lacking/secretive??

...There were no rosters provided at either event, nor is the roster up on the web site yet. It would have been nice to know which alumni were playing at least! The UA web announced both scrimmages, but no follow as to results, how the team is progressing, whatever?? - dyslank

You realize you are talking UA Athletics ??????

Still no roster. Anyone have any news/fall progress report on lacrosse. I know all the excitement is for football and basketball right now; but the lacrosse silence is deafening. Inside Lacrosse and Lax Power packed with fall ball news and recruiting about just about everybody BUT UA. Scrimmage @home feb 9/2013 vs Georgetown not really that far away.