UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Law

Michigan_Dane

Finances continue to deteriorate over at Albany Law. The below article points out that being "independent" from a broad based university is hurting them.

Once again, Albany Law and University at Albany have a win-win relationship. They just need to get that through their thick heads and make it happen.

1) The state needs affordable legal education

2) Albany Law needs a steady stream of bright students with financial backing.

Albany Law needs to look at the University of Michigan and ask if their law school is helped or hurt by the relationship to U of M and then TAKE ACTION.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Standard-Poor-s-downgrades-Albany-Law-School-4428384.php

I sent an email to both Dr Jones and Penny Jones. My letter is below.

-------------

Hello,

America needs an affordable and sustainable legal education model. New York has only one SUNY law school to offer an affordable state sponsored legal education. Meanwhile, New York leads the country in the number of private law schools. These law schools are challenged to provide an education that doesn’t come with a six figure loan. Affordability is even more critical when the legal market is in a downturn and employment is lean. Today’s news that S&P downgraded Albany Law is a reminder that the current model is broken. Being an independent law school adds to the challenge of being private because of the lack of diversification during a downturn in the legal market. Being independent also foregoes the opportunity for the community to build a powerful, affordable and comprehensive university like the University of Minnesota, University of Michigan or UCLA.

As an example of the merits of a comprehensive university, the combination of the University of Michigan and Michigan Law benefits both institutions as well as other stakeholders. The law school benefits from the support of the broader university. The law school receives financial backing as part of the University of Michigan as well as a constant stream of candidates in search of an affordable legal education. The law school students benefit from an affordable legal education. The university benefits from have a diverse educational profile including the professional colleges. The state of Michigan benefits from offering its residents an affordable and powerful legal education.

The merger of the University at Albany and Albany Law is win-win for all stakeholders. Albany law receives the financial backing of state via SUNY along with a steady stream of candidates in search of affordable legal education. The combination of the two institutions creates a broader and more comprehensive university that serves both equally. The students win with a more affordable legal education. The state wins as it’s in their best interest to offer affordable legal education as it does with any other education.

There is a precedent for such a merger. Dr Jones as a long time University of Minnesota leader can speak to fellow Big 10 institution of Penn State University. Dickinson Law School merged into Penn State in 2000 and has thrived since.

Today’s Times Union Article

http://www.timesunio...ool-4428384.php

Finances are hurting at many law schools because of the sharp decline in college graduates taking the LSAT exam and, in turn, not enrolling in law school. Economics at a law school are, to a substantial degree, a function of class size (i.e., tuition dollars), and when class size goes down, so does revenue.

Unfortunately, the market is saturated with lawyers, and there are simply too many lawyers in too many cities, and Albany is no exception. The supply of attorneys must go down because the jobs simply aren't there.

I am 110% in support of a merger (if only in name if nothing else) with UAlbany and Albany Law, but the law school model is broken and is in need of major repair nationwide. The New York Times has run several articles about this topic, and they are a worthy read. (I will try to post the links to these articles later).

Edited by UA_MA_2000

This topic has been discussed on this board once before. I am a graduate of UAlbany and Albany Law. The merger would enhance both schools immeasurably. I cannot see the faculty at UA objecting. The faculty at the law school has lost touch with reality. They will kill this discussion before it gets started.

If history is any measure, I will get an email response from Dr Jones in about three weeks. I won't hear from Penny Jones.

Albany Law just may need to endure a bit more pain before they see the merits of this good idea. If the down turn lasts a few more years Albany Law may be knowing on UA's door.

Bringing Albany Law and University at Albany together under one umbrella university would sooth my anger at losing the Nano College. Throw us a bone Chancellor.

If history is any measure, I will get an email response from Dr Jones in about three weeks. I won't hear from Penny Jones.

Albany Law just may need to endure a bit more pain before they see the merits of this good idea. If the down turn lasts a few more years Albany Law may be knowing on UA's door.

Bringing Albany Law and University at Albany together under one umbrella university would sooth my anger at losing the Nano College. Throw us a bone Chancellor.

I got a personal response from the Albany Law Dean Andrews who defered the Chair and Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees (Cc'ed on the email) asking them to consider the idea.

Who knows - maybe they will consider given the recent downgrade and S&P's clear directive to align itself with a University.