UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Can someone explain to me the redshirt for Frosh. rules? Sometimes I have even seen red shirted Sophs. I do not understand how this works? Can a player be redshirted and play and still not use eligability??? Just curious how this works.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/membership...ty_seasons.html

http://www.scarletknights.com/ncaa/eligibility.htm

You cannot redshirt and play in the same season. The exception is when you play, get hurt, and get a medical hardship.

There are a few types of redshirts.

The first is a medical redshirt (very similar to a medical hardship). Medical redshirt is determined prior to the season based on injury.

A medical hardship is based on the percentage of games played during the season. It also requires that a doctor verifies that the student-athlete should not or cannot return to action the rest of that season. If the player has played in a certain percentage of the team's games (not sure if that changes based on the sport), then the player is either allowed (less than the set percentage) or denied (more than the set percentage) the redshirt, and regains the year of eligilbility.

A good example of this is Jamar Wilson from Men's Basketball, who had not participated in games last season before his knee injury, and thus regained the year of eligibility. He will be a redshirt sophomore this coming season, even though he will be in his third (junior) year in school.

However, there is the ability to arbitararily redshirt a player. I believe this rule was passed at some point because it was decided that since these sports require such physical size and skill, high schoolers could choose to redshirt a year, which would allow them to practice with the team, but not play in any games. Also, as stated in the Rutgers link above, you can take a redshirt year to concentrate on academics, etc.

Thus, they would get all the same workouts as the regular players, and develop as a regular player, but have no game experience. Top football schools do this with almost 100% of their linemen, who regularly come out of high school with technical skill but rarely the size required to play at a high D-I level.

The player must agree that he will redshirt prior to a certain point in the season (i.e. the coach cannot force a player to redshirt who does not want to). I dont know what that point is, probably the same point as where you would get granted a medical hardship if you got hurt.

So, then, you could redshirt during any season, assuming the coach and the player agreed and you were still within your five-year clock. So you can really only redshirt one time without losing a year of eligibility. The second time you redshirted, you would be two years into your five year clock, thus leaving you only three years left to play (thus, it cost you a season).

Edited by DaneFan2k3

Ruler

I know in Hoop their is a deadline, both by date and number of appearances, to request a redshirt year.

Coach Brown pushed the envelope with Jamar this year playing him the last game before he requested a medical redshirt for him. After Jamar's game at Colgate Coach Brown realized he was quite a ways away from being able to play at 100% so he redshirted him.