UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Possible New Conferences?!

Ok...I happened to be on the phone with my contracts professor who happens to be a sports attorney as well. We were chatting about the new BE and we came up with some scenerios. THE NEW BE CONTRACT is in place until 2010. Most people feel the conference will implode at that time as will the new A-Ten. Bottom line is that even the IAA schools will want a new all-sport conference.

So we came up with the following...not perfected of course.

NEW NAMED IA Conference:

North

ND/UMASS (if MASS goes IA in football---and ND goes Big Ten (for their 12th)

Pitt

'Cuse

Cincy

Louisville

Memphis

South

UCONN

Rutgers

S. Florida

W. Va

E. Carolina*

Temple

This is geograpically balanced...but not football balanced or hoop balanced in a divisional breakup.

*If the BE expands to 12 as most assume

**The TV contract for ND is not going to be as profitable in the current format and the execs are going to pay their money for conference championships.

BIG EAST (the basketball schools have the rights to the name):

North(geographically not correct...but whatever)

Depaul

Marquette

Binghamton

St. Bonaventure

La Salle

Xavier

St. Joes

South

St. John's

Seton Hall

George Washington

UVM

BU

Hartford

Providence

New A-Ten---ahhh the fun begins right here

North

UNH UNH

MAINE MAINE

NU NU

URI URI

UMASS* UMASS

UALBANY UALBANY

Fordham** STONY BROOK

South

Villanova**** VILLANOVA

Georgetown***** GEORGETOWN

Stony Brook WILLIAM and MARY

Hofstra HOFSTRA

Richmond RICHMOND

Dayton JMU

Duquense Delaware

* More than likely UMASS goes IA. ND goes Big 10 for their championship game. If UMass goes to IA they go to BIG EAST...and ND GOES BIG 10.

**Fordham- if they leave the patriot or drop hoop to patriot. More likely they move to the Patriot.

****Villanova is not moving up IA...and they will keep football. I dont think the basketball would be an issue (staying w/ the BE schools that will move to a new BE in 2010. They already show no allegiance to the Big 5 schools.

*****Georgetown....see NOVA.

& The engimas---Dayton and Duquesne. Dayton has the infrastructure to move up to scholarship football..not to mention the recruiting pool. It has been said they wont move up...but I dont buy it. Duquense has the drive...but not the facilities. I am not sure what they do...if anything...maybe the Patriot league (they were looking into it.)

Now...the big questions....DELAWARE, JMU, and W&M. Honestly...i see DEL coming aboard...and maybe JMU and W and M joining one of the southern confernces. I think DEL would see the hoop benefit and allsport aspects which wont happen in the current CAA. Or I can see Dayton keeping the status quo, Fordham going Patriot and WMU and JMU coming in. I also see Charlotte and St. going as the wild-cards...as full members of some league...UMBC...maybe NEC bound again? And if Dayton and the Dukes dont go full scholly football...what do they do?

All conjecture...but fun!

Not bad ’96, I agree conference conjecture can be fun. A few comments and questions. I agree the current Big East will break up in 2010 when the footballs schools want to go to 12 teams. One of the reasons why the BB only schools agreed to the extension was they only had 5 schools short of the NCAA required minimum of 6. By adding Marquette and DePaul they now have 7 when they break off I see them adding Xavier, Dayton and possibly Charlotte to form a 10 team BB only conference. The A10 and the CAA will spilt along BB only schools and 1AA schools. Here’s how I see the lineup

Big east football schools ( new name)

North

Pitt

'Cuse

Cincy

Louisville

Memphis

Temple

South

UCONN

Rutgers

S. Florida

W. Va

E. Carolina*

C Florida

Big east BB

DePaul

Marquette

Xavier

Georgetown

St. John's

Seton Hall

Providence

Villanova

Dayton

Charlotte

A10/CAA football

Richmond

Hofstra

Umass

URI

James Madison

William and Mary

Delaware

Maine

Northeastern

Villanova ( FOOTBALL ONLY)

New Hampshire (football only)

Albany (will they go scholarships?)

A10 BB

Fordham

LaSalle

St Joe’s

Duquesne

GW

St Bonaventure

Siena

Holy Cross

Manhattan

Niagara

Taking into account there is no right or wrong here just speculation, I think my new leagues are pretty well balanced, keep the big state football schools together in Football ( both for the new big east football league and the a10/CAA hybrid, the A10 bb schools are all small private schools

DaneFan2k3...i have never said this on this board...but ###### off! You are a piece of work. All you do is bitch and moan like a sissy. Get out there and beat the bushes to get fans to the game. Do somethng but cry on this board about how UA, its fans, and the board sucks. PATHETIC!

I'm pathetic? These dudes are posting about conference affiliations that probably will never happen, and at best would happen five to ten years down the road.

Take a step back and get a grip man. Post about something worthwhile, like the status of our basketball team or where Gary Jones will be playing next year.

And PS - I hope you can take criticism in the real world. Cause if you take it anything like my criticism on this board, you're in for a world of hurt out there.

DaneFan2k3 think of a message board as a water cooler at work. Basically its just hoop fans shooting the breeze. Nothing we say here will have any bearing on what actually happens in conference realignment. Just like very little you say at work when shooting the breeze will change anything. As for your questions on

"status of our basketball team or where Gary Jones will be playing next year. "

isn’t there a hoops and football forum for those questions? I think you're lucky that someone feels passionate about Albany sports to take the time to run a forum like this so you can post your complaints. At any rate message boards all about communications

Hey don't worry about me, I know how a message board works. But I don't think people have that much time to stand around the water cooler in the real world.

My point was that I think it's stupid to sit there and look at possible realignments for (literally) years down the road. So I guess I'm the middle manager who walks past the cooler and tells the IT geeks to get back to work and stop daydreaming about Trinity from the Matrix and the girls from Sailor Moon.

I don't think if someone told you that you had a stupid idea around the water cooler you'd tell him to go and #### himself either. But then again, those IT geeks get pretty revved up about their fantasies too ...

If nothing else, I have a new board rival, bigman dane96 who can't take any criticism of his all-in-theory post. Got a new avatar out of the deal as well.

In fact, to take Tony's point to a whole new level, yes there are forums for what I suggested the people talk about. However, why doesn't the forum administrator make a "UAlbany Dream Sequence" forum, so that when I see "Possible New Conferences?!" I know to skip it entirely because it's based on little to no fact. "General Danes Stuff" should be for ... well ... general Danes stuff ... not a post that mentions Albany twice or three times in the course of a rant on conference realignment in 2010.