UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Volleyball pairings announced

NCAA announces the field of 64. Danes (#81 Pablo ranking, #49 RPI) are at host Yale (#161, 101). The other game is LIU (#115, 121) vs Minnesota (#5, 3).

At least they don't have to travel to Cali like New Hampshire last year.

Regionals for this bracket are in Minneapolis Dec. 10-11.

This team boasts being the conference champs, tournament champs, conference player of the year, setter of the year, tournament mvp, coach of the year, NCAA record holder, and many other team and individual honors.

We need to honor this team by showing up at their first appearance in the NCAA tournament and cheering them on! New Haven is only a 2-1/2 hour drive from Albany. Please plan on spending Dec 2 & 3 in the stands on the Yale campus and rooting for your ALBANY GREAT DANES VOLLEYBALL TEAM!!

Compared to what UNH got last year that it a terriffic pairing. Looks like a very winnable game.

For anyone who saw the pairing show (I couldn't find it) two questions:

How do figure out who hosts the game? It looks like Albany should host as they are ranked higher.

When do they know which day the game will be played?

On choosing the playing site: I believe schools put in a bid to host. They also need a minimum 2000 seat facility.

Since the match will be on Yale's home court - and they will have their usual large crowd - it is important that Albany has a large fan base in the stands. If you were in the stands at the conference tournament, you know how important the crowd can be in a close match.

In today's Gazette, Sheffield says he'd rather be in New Haven than travel to Hawaii or Cali. We have a great opportunity - Yale is bigger than us but not huge.

No NY Division I university has ever won an NCAA VB tournament game.

Info on the Kern VB site shows that Minnesota, except for one 6-3 starter, is not a great deal taller than Albany either, I'd just assume a lot more talented to be ranked #5 in the country.

Getting by Yale has to be the goal.

Minnesota was a top four seed, ranked fourth in the polls, and was actually the nation's #1 team for three weeks earlier this season. They were also #2 for three weeks, meaning they were 1 or 2 in six of the 14 weeks they had a poll (including the preseason).

http://www.avca.org/collegiate/dipoll/dipollindex.asp

Never say never, but that's a tall task.

I wonder if any UAlbany team has ever played a team that was ranked # 1 at any time in the same season they played? How about lacrosse maybe?

It's good to see that the Athletics Department scheduled a bus to take UAlbany student fans to the game in New Haven for a total cost (transportation and admission) of only $5.

Unfortunately the bus leaves the RACC at 3:30pm today and many students (including myself) can't afford to miss classes that they have this late afternoon or evening, as it is into the last full week of classes for this semester.

But best of luck to the ladies for a convincing defeat of Yale and strong showing (hopeful upset?) of powerhouse Minnesota.

LET'S GO DANES!!