UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Gered Burns - 800 meters

BURNS QUALIFIES FOR USAT&F NATIONAL MEET, FINISHING SECOND IN 800-METER RUN

New York, N.Y. – UAlbany’s Gered Burns placed second in the championship division of the 800-meter run, tying his school-record time of 1:49.50, as the Great Danes track and field teams competed in the Fifth Annual New Balance Invitational at the New York City Armory on Friday, Feb. 5.

Burns, the 2003 IC4A champion, finished behind Arkansas’ James Hatch. Hatch, a two-time All-American performer, ran the fastest 800 time in the country this season and the fastest all-time at the Armory, in 1:48.24. With his time, Burns qualified for the USA Track & Field National meet, which will be held at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston, Mass. on Feb. 27.

"Gered feels he belongs with these guys," stated UAlbany head coach Roberto Vives. "He wasn’t intimidated at all, and got right out there and ran with them. He feels like he can run with anyone in the country.

Overall it appears the men and women represented UA extremely well!!!!!

"With all of the top programs there, our team was able to make their presence known," said Vives. "The head coach from Brown sought me out to congratulate me on the progress of the program. It felt like we were at the conference championships. While other teams sat back, our athletes were out there supporting each other. You knew UAlbany was at the meet."

Edited by Patch

So...is Gerad going to try to qualify for BEIJING in a couple of years?

What does this all mean? Can he go to the worlds if he does well at the USAT&F?

BTW....if Gerad ran that fast...how freakin' fast is this Arkansas kid...my g-d, almost a full second and a half differential. :o

I dont know the configuration of that track, maybe some of the new track posters can tell us. That time is borderline for provisional NCAA qualification, depending on factors such as full automatic or manual timing, and the length and bank of the track.

I'm assuming since it did not say he provisionally qualified in the story that he just missed out.

Most meets are auto-timed, meaning he would have had to hit 1:48.60 on an un-banked track to auto-qualify. (1:48.0 banked).

The provisional qualification standard he hit, unless it was both banked and manually timed (1:48.2). I imagine that is what it had to be ...

Getting closer. I imagine he might be the first to qualify for indoor championships on the men's side.

That is a tough event to qualify for NCAAs in. If he can provisionally qualify this year, that would be a big step.

UAlbany winning the America East is great, but hopefully soon we will get to the point where other mid-major schools are in track: a handful of provisional or automatic qualifiers for the NCAA Nationals each year.