UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Connelly

Camden County Tech 13-3-5-18 - 39

Camden Catholic 19-26-24-13 - 82

CCT: Brandon Butler 11, Tim Cass 11, Jamaal Christmas 3, Andrew Drennon 2, Terrance Lovett 6, Wakil Shakur 2, Marcus Whittington 2, Williams 2.

CC: Sean Campbell 3, Brian Connelly 28, Connor Crawford 22, Tyler DeLeece 5, Anthony Matera 7, Marc McCloskey 2, Joe McDonnell 2, Ahmad Nicholson 2, Mike Reilly 2, Kurt Reinhold 5, Tim Smith 4.

Notes: Smith 8 assists, Crawford 15 second-quarter points.

Play Off Pairings

South Jersey Parochial A

(9) Monsignor Donovan at (8) St. Joseph-Metuchen, winner at (1) St. Augustine; (5) Gloucester Catholic at (4) Notre Dame; (6) Paul VI at (3) Camden Catholic; (7) Bishop Ahr at (2) Christian Brothers Academy.

S. Jersey Boys | Camden Catholic tops Holy Spirit

Anthony Matera and Brian Connelly sparked a 24-8 run late in the game and helped Camden Catholic rally past upset-minded Holy Spirit, 45-32, yesterday in the Olympic-Cape Challenge at Vineland.

The Spartans followed Dennis Horner (12 points) to a 24-21 lead late in the third quarter, but Matera saved 13 of his 18 points for the second half and Connelly (18) had eight in the fourth quarter for the Irish.

Irish ax unbeaten-Courier Post

Irish ax unbeaten

SCOTT ANDERSON/Courier-Post

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Cam. Cath. edges last unbeaten S.J. team

By WALT BURROWS

Courier-Post Staff

MEDFORD

It was one of those games that kept the fans on the edge of their seats, the coaches on the verge of life support and each player hoping it would be him who would hit the winning shot.

It was a short, 12-foot jump shot by Camden Catholic guard Anthony Matera with 6.6 seconds left that gave the Irish a 48-46 decision over previously unbeaten Shawnee in a hard, cleanly played game.

There were only seven foul shots taken and only three personal fouls called in the first half of the Olympic Conference interdivision game. It was a defensive clinic and the folks in the packed Shawnee gymnasium seemed to enjoy it right up to the finish.

The luck of the Irish prevailed in the end.

After Matera's jumper put Camden Catholic (17-3), ranked No. 5 in the Courier-Post Top 20, ahead, Shawnee coach Joe Kessler quickly called a timeout to plan for the last shot.

Camden Catholic coach Jim Crawford then took two successive timeouts to rattle Shawnee. It was like icing the kicker.

But it didn't prevent Shawnee from getting two shots at a possible victory.

Kevin Dybalski hit Matt McFadden with the inbounds pass at halfcourt. McFadden, closely guarded, took an off-balance shot that Tyson Hartnett rebounded and sent another off-balance push toward the basket. Both shots failed to find the mark and time ran out, ending the Renegades' 19-game winning streak and leaving South Jersey without an unbeaten team.

"It was a great high school game that could easily have been won by either team," Crawford said. "We got a little lucky at the end with those two shots, but it was that kind of a game. (It was) hard fought, clean and I thought well officiated.

"I know it will help us in the tournament. It's the kind of basketball schools play in Parochial A. I think it will help both of us."

Kessler agreed.

"A game like this today helps us all the way around," he said. "It's good for us playing a team as good as Camden Catholic. We can only benefit."

No. 3 Shawnee looked like it was in trouble when Brian Connelly (16 points) hit the first two baskets of the third quarter to put the Irish ahead 28-19.

But Crawford didn't expect the Renegades to fold the tent.

"They were undefeated, weren't they?" Crawford said. "I knew they would come back."

Come back they did. The Renegades took the lead at 33-32 on McFadden's bank shot with 1:39 remaining in the third quarter.

Then it was back and forth until Matera took over for the Irish, hitting their last six points, including the game-winner.

"Tim (Smith) got me the ball and I just put it up," Matera said. "It was an awesome, clean game. Shawnee is a great team and well-coached."

"I played on the same AAU team with Hartnett," Matera added. "Boy, he had a heck of a game."

Hartnett led Shawnee with 22 points. McFadden had 12.

S. Jersey Boys | Shawnee falls to Irish, 48-46

Anthony Matera's basket with 6.2 seconds enabled Camden Catholic to hand host Shawnee its first loss of the season, 48-46, last night in Olympic Conference basketball.

The Irish (17-3), ranked No. 6 in South Jersey by The Inquirer, got 16 points from Brian Connelly and 14 by Ahmad Nicholson. Third-ranked Shawnee (19-1) got a game-high 22 points from Tyson Hartnett but a pair of shots in the closing seconds failed to drop.

Camden Catholic 15 7 10 21 - 53

Notre Dame10 8 9 16 - 43

CC: Brian Connelly 25, Tyler DeLeece 2, Anthony Jeune 2, Anthony Matera 7, Marc McCloskey 2, Ahmad Nicholson 4, Kurt Reinhold 6, Tim Smith 5.

ND: Underwood 9, Gibilisco 8, Diaz 6, Clark 5, Morris 1, Collins 8, Thoer 1, Quinn 5.

olddog 71 - Thanks.

I'm sorry I can't find and report more on Jimmy Covington.

I would expect Connelly to have a Frosh year similar to Brent or Brian. Hopefully he can come in and get 15-23 minutes a game and contribute. Anything more than that would be just awesome.

I am also very interested to see how Brent and Brian are next year. I have a funny feeling they will both be much improved after both had a solid freshman experience.

I think it's great that freshman can now come in and learn the DI game rather than be force fed 35+ minutes a game and face loss after loss.