UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena Coaches

Gillen is not really a long shot when talking dollars. Look at jobs available and Siena will probably be competetive. Keep in mind, he's as good as gone in VA. That 900K as left port.

And in an attempt to save or bolster the program? Siena can cough up the money if they want to badly enough.

Hopkins not wanting a MAAC Job? We've had two Big East Assistants move on nicely after stints at Siena.

So Siena is willing to pony up 900G for a guy to build the program and then leave again in probably 3 years? That's an awful lot of change to be throwing around. Plus even if he takes less, it's still going to amount to the complete total of your current coaching staff and that's not including assistants.

Gillen would be a great get, but do you really have the finances to afford everything he will want? I am sure the recruiting budgets are nothing similiar. Plus, didn't you cut football due to department cutbacks? That's a great message to the ex-football players. "We are going to spend almost the same amount it took to fund your program on a coach who is using us."

If you are starting your reply under the premis that 900K is even in the discussion, you have not absorbed previous discussions and missing key bits of info.

Football does not enter into the discussion at all. And how is Gillen using Siena? As a launching pad to the ACC?

Now I recall why I have avoided attempting discussion on this board.

Football does not enter into the discussion at all. And how is Gillen using Siena? As a launching pad to the ACC?

Now I recall why I have avoided attempting discussion on this board.

Yeah, it's because you can't keep up.

Why would football not enter in? It was cut to save $200K, probably cost just as much in ex-players leaving the school, contributes to the impression of an athletic program in disarray, and you expect Gillen to take a 70%+ pay cut?

Yes, if Gillen comes to Siena he will accept a 70% pay cut. That does not mean Siena is sooooo precious he's willing to give up a fortune. It does mean, he's out of VA, ain't gonna make 900K anywhere's and has expressed an interest in finishing his career in a place like LoudonVille. They'll pay him 250K if necessary.

Now, if an A10 school gets to him, things might change.

Do not confuse this issue with football. Football had no support at Siena. Did not pay for itself in any capacity and Siena stunk at football. Frankly, most of the athletic program is lousy but save that for separate discussion.

Just remember, with a good team on the court, Siena can draw. Hell, with a $ienaty team this year they averaged 7k if you count sold seats. I understand in the last month few showed up for a game.

Am I even here right now? Or am I in bizzaro-world? Hello Bizzaro-Superman.

Pete Gillen has money locked away, and reports are that it will take nearly $3 million to buy him out. He won't have to work. He can just sit back and wait for the right opportunity to come up. He can wait on an A-10 firing, a (new) C-USA firing, a MAC opportunity. You are talking about going from the #1 RPI league to the #23. I think he can stop that free-fall a little bit in the middle there.

If you were pay Pete Gillen $250,000, you can then add in four assistants in the $30,000 range (assuming they are not his current assistants, who I guarantee make more than that, probably something along the lines of 80-50-30-30).

So let's stay in Bizzaro World and say Pete "slums it" and hires four dudes off the street for 30 grand apiece. That is a $370,000 coaching staff.

Then, as we have discussed, a man is not going to come from the ACC and expect things to remain status quo. He is going to want upgrades in regards to the recruiting budget, travel amenities, etc.

And this is definitely the case if he is going to "finish his career there." Why would he want to end his career at a school that isn't going to upgrade things.

Do you have a former Enron accountant working over there?

Read Gregg Doyle, one of the most ill-informed writers there is? He's about a step above Pete Prisco, the world's worst NFL writer.

All Doyle says in his "dribbles" is that Gillen would "have value for Siena." Wow, I think 100 people on this board said that already. Of course he would, he's a coach with a 64% winning percentage who would be coming from the ACC.

Just because they value him doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Could it happen? Sure it could. Anyone can go anywhere. But I'd bet it won't, for all the reasons listed in the above posts.

My money would be on Pete Gillen taking at least a year off if he is let go at Virginia.

UA would actually benefit from Pete Gillen getting fired, either way.

a.) He gets fired, Siena courts him and gets rejected, that's a UA win.

b.) He gets fired, Siena hires him, it generates a lot of publicity for the Albany area and rachets the rivalry up a few notches. (Assuming Albany stays "good" and keeps their positive forward momentum).

c.) He gets fired, McElroy does the unthinkable and gets him to come to UAlbany (hahahahaha).