UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Facilities

Hey guys,

Now as an Alumni I was thinking about the facilites and this 2010 project. First of all my opinion is that its a little excessive for where we currently are. From what it seems we are shooting to become an A10 caliber school. I am currently working at the US Senior Open in Dayton, Ohio and the hotel is right across the street from UDayton's facilities. I had a chance to check them out and was quite taken with what they have. First of all I wont touch on the Arena because their's is older and much larger but the parking area is huge and is shared with their football stadium which is shared with their public school system. It is field turf and seats 11,000. It is a great faciliy that could easily pass into scholarship 1-AA. Its not fancy and get the job done. A simple renovation to the current field would accomplish this. Full replacement of seats and construction into the natural bowl of University should provide an adequate stadium for any jumb to scholarship 1-AA. Why not see talk to the city as well see if we cant get any financial assistance in exchange for city use of the field. Finally the baseball and softball field need some asthetic improvemnts that can be built on their present sites. The softball field juts needs permanent seats behind the plate and a press box to be adequate and the baseball field needs work. More premanent seating and a pressbox. One course of action that Dayton took was to get Time Warner Cable to sponsor their field. Why not do that here plus use the hill on the 3rd base side and build some seaing into that hill. The land is just built for seating to be built into and it just seems so obvious to me. Here is Dayton's link

Dayton Flyers

In fact, The Dayton Board of Education owns and manages the 11,000-seat Welcome stadium. The stadium serves as the site for Dayton Public School events, such as high school football games, as well as track and field events. Dayton schools and UD, which each own land around the stadium, have an agreement regarding the use and upkeep of the parking lots around Welcome. (from the Pioneer League forum and the Dayton News)

The city of Albany, on the other hand, is thinking about renovating Bleecker Stadium (again!!), and that wouldn't be adequate for a college program. A stopgap solution to University Field will probably end up lasting another thirty years. Ten thousand seats in phase 1 would be the same as what you're talking about, but could be built with room and footings so a further expansion would be easier, and without a running track keeping the seats far away from the action. You don't often get an opportunity to really do something right.

As for the baseball field, the drainage is awful where it is; you have to move it away from the pond if you want to use it before May.

First, Dayton is a dump of a city, other than the nice campus. Hope you are having fun down there.

There are some issues with what you bring up.

First, this being the state system, we need to get as much done in one shot rather than piecemealing the project. The 2010 plan is a vision of the future, as in where we will need to be with facilities in 2020-2030 to keep us a viable competative DI school.

Second, the STATE owns the grounds the campus is on (well, the University System, which is a state body), and thus the city has no say in anything that goes on within the campus other than basic building codes and to be honest, I dont even think that counts because part of the campus isn't even technically a part of the city...Dutch quad and the sports facilities specifically). Further, DAYTON RENTS THE STADIUM FROM THE CITY....it does NOT share the facility. The entire idea of having our new stadium is for exactly what you say; the city will rent it out from us to offset costs for the University.

Finally, replacement seats and construction of the natural bowl does not give the needed open space for non-athletic experiences, a requirement to make the student body happy. Further, I dont care what anyone says: CONSTRUCTION COSTS....even if it is replacement seats. A renovation project would cost UA probably a bit less than half of the new stadium, however it would be half-assed, would not deal with facility issues (handicap access, parking, concessions, mandated bathroom facilities, etc).

The point I bring up is maybe to try to work with the city in improving the facility due to the fact the Bleeker is a dump. They may be game...I say what the hell. Plus the 2010 plan Ill believe it when I see it. You guys know how contruction goes at UA. 2010 will turn into 2011 then 2012 then 2015 and so on. I smell another big dig. In regards to building into the hill how much could it coast to throw in some concrete a few chair backs and some stands. we're no talking Giants stadiums here. From what Ive heard most facilities at UA are close to D1 standards but are still run like a DIII. Plus Dayton is not the most asthtically pleasing cities in the world but Kettering where NCR is located is a nice area and the people here have been great.

In regards to building into the hill how much could it coast to throw in some concrete a few chair backs and some stands.

9082[/snapback]

A lot more than you think. I doubt you can just lay concrete on top of what's probably a man-made hillside, it would start to heave and crack the first winter. You've still got to dig below the frostline to put in adequate footings and supports. That wouldn't cost that much less than new construction. Take out the steel bleachers and the hill is way too far from the playing field, especially for further expansion. Starting from scratch is the only way to do it right.

When the Pepsi (Knickerbocker) Arena was being designed in the late '80's, a lot of people (myself included) thought 8 or 9 thousand was plenty of seating and 15K was overkill, but looking back now eight thousand would have been woefully inadequate.

I've seen it done before...a stadium that I live near is built that way and its been there for a number of years and looks to be in good shape. Im saying to necessariliy throw concrete there but use what the good lord gave ya. In regards to the Pepsi if the city of Albany wanted to host NCAA regionals you need a 15K seat arena and they proved they can fill it. UAlbany football has yet to prove they can draw 5,000 let alone 15K. Remember Im playing Devil's advocate here. Id like to see us go 1-AA scholarship I just don't thiunk we need to build the Rose Bowl to do it.

Albany couldn't prove they could fill a 15K arena until they built it first. UA football can't prove they can draw 5,000 (which they HAVE had for Homecoming) on a field with 3,600 bleachers, fewer than half with good sightlines. If you jury-rig 7,000 seats, that's all you'll probably build for the next 25 years.

Nobody's looking for the Rose Bowl. 14K is less than 1/3 the size of the Carrier Dome, half the size of Cornell, less than UMass, Hofstra or Columbia.

The only way to be sure of hitting a goal is to set it really, really low.

I've seen it done before...a stadium that I live near is built that way and its been there for a number of years and looks to be in good shape.  Im saying to necessariliy throw concrete there but use what the good lord gave ya.  In regards to the Pepsi if the city of Albany wanted to host NCAA regionals you need a 15K seat arena and they proved they can fill it.  UAlbany football has yet to prove they can draw 5,000 let alone 15K.  Remember Im playing Devil's advocate here.  Id like to see us go 1-AA scholarship I just don't thiunk we need to build the Rose Bowl to do it.

9086[/snapback]

Actually, your not listening to arguments...just throwing new ones out when sound answers are given.

A rehab project would cost UA about 15mm, including the track which needs to be fixed. The only cheap solution is throwing up temporary metal bleachers...which solves nothing and would cost in the 1-2mm range.

BTW, before you were a thought in your parents head, UA football would regularly pack the place. Even when I was around in the 90's we averaged very close to 3500-4000. A better schedule and new stadium and you are looking at 6000 or so fans a game. If Maine can do it...so can we.

I think this discussion is beaten to death.