UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

How to bring more people to the games

Hey folks, Ive been apart of supporting UA sports over the past four years. Being a member of the pep band at the school has been great and I've seen this team really grow. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get more students/people to the games. The reason why I ask is because this past season I saw bigger crowds then previous years. And at those games we seemed to play great and the RACC really was an exciting place to watch games. So if anyone has an ideas it would be nice to hear it. Thanks

There was a similar post many months back and still think the University needs to improve communication to the community in general to get more support.

As an example, I was driving my son to karate on Saturday while listening to one of the local sports talk shows. They mentioned GA. Tech's intrasquad scrimmage many times - encouraging people to stop by and check it out. It was free, parking was easy and I had nothing else planned for that afternoon so I went watched them practice and when I got home checked out the ticket packages and will probably buy one of the packages (as soon as I see my son's baseball schedule to make sure there aren't conflicts). That's a simple example, and I am an extreme case but I would have never driven down there if I hadn't heard the radio announcements over and over that morning.

Also, I have gone to several Tech baseball games because they give away tickets to the local youth leagues. There was a youth baseball night where every youth baseball player in the Atlanta area was given tickets for themselves and a parent to attend the game. We had great seats, it was a good game and we have gone to about 5 games after that. Same thing with soccer - the Atlanta Silverbacks (could very well be a college team as well) sponsor summer clinics and in season clinics for the town rec leagues.

Don't know if they are allowed to but they might sell tickets at the Siena game. They should also look to sell / give away tickets with promotions at the local HS games. They can also have HS double headers.

For the students, I'm not sure there is much to do besides communicate with them at orientation and at the very beginning of classes.

May sound like I'm rambling, but I think UA does a very poor job at selling the athletics programs. With the talent that the basketball team has, they should average 3k fan - 2k without the students. Maybe the recent reorganization in the athletics department will help get the word out.

There was a similar post many months back and still think the University needs to improve communication to the community in general to get more support. 

As an example, I was driving my son to karate on Saturday while listening to one of the local sports talk shows.  They mentioned GA. Tech's intrasquad scrimmage many times - encouraging people to stop by and check it out.  It was free, parking was easy and I had nothing else planned for that afternoon so I went watched them practice and when I got home checked out the ticket packages and will probably buy one of the packages (as soon as I see my son's baseball schedule to make sure there aren't conflicts).  That's a simple example, and I am an extreme case but I would have never driven down there if I hadn't heard the radio announcements over and over that morning. 

Also, I have gone to several Tech baseball games because they give away tickets to the local youth leagues.  There was a youth baseball night where every youth baseball player in the Atlanta area was given tickets for themselves and a parent to attend the game.  We had great seats, it was a good game and we have gone to about 5 games after that.  Same thing with soccer - the Atlanta Silverbacks (could very well be a college team as well) sponsor summer clinics and in season clinics for the town rec leagues.

Don't know if they are allowed to but they might sell tickets at the Siena game.  They should also look to sell / give away tickets with promotions at the local HS games.  They can also have HS double headers. 

For the students, I'm not sure there is much to do besides communicate with them at orientation and at the very beginning of classes.

May sound like I'm rambling, but I think UA does a very poor job at selling the athletics programs.  With the talent that the basketball team has, they should average 3k fan - 2k without the students.  Maybe the recent reorganization in the athletics department will help get the word out.

9288[/snapback]

Winning is everything. For the students, as well as a fan.

If the men's basketball team can find a way to win this season, the doors will stand open to a lot of people. Specifically, if this team shows the way to close in on a 20-win season, you will find many people in the Capital District willing to choose attendance at our games, rather than down at the Pepsi. The admission tickets will be cheaper, the parking easier (even over at Dutch), and the improved atmosphere within a closed arena will make the atmosphere electric, and everybody will want to show up.

Nobody will pay attention to any ads or marketing we do until the team starts to win, and a good showing early in the season OOC schedule will pave the way. This team will be good, and I predict many will join the bandwagon this year. For those of us who supported this team early in its struggles, this season will make us proud that we were among the first supporters.

Some of the midwest colleges are going to be experimenting with topless cheerleaders this year at football games. In view of Albany's very poor ranking in American college 'social and lifestyle' categories, and depending on the looks of our cheerleaders this year, it may be worth a try.