UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What should the next recruit be

Now that we have our first recruit who I think looks like a real solid player who else should we look at. I believe we lose 4 players this year Jordan, Levi, Zollner and Knotts correct me if I'm wrong. We already have our first big man who I think on paper can take the place of either Levi, Knotts or Zollner, but I would like us to add another gaurd, maybe another small foward, and a big center atleast 6'10 or more. I think if we can get all that we will have yet another solid recruiting class. I was wondering what everybody else was thinking.

I am trying to get more info on the kid that verbaled yesterday. I get a little wary when a 6'8" kid only averages 12 points. I did see that one or two of his teammates have signed at ACC schools.

It would be good if there was some AAU info on him, but I have not been able to find any.

In terms of new recruits, I think a PG should be high on the list. My guess is that Jamar will continue to play point this year (even with Iati back) - there needs to be a plan for the post Jamar years. Big men would be great as well - but they are hard to come by at this level.

Yocum plays with two McDonalds All-Americans. Probably doesn't get a ton of shots as the third option. With that being said 12ppg is just fine. Look at the boards and blocks. Also coming from a big time high school program.

Not sure about a point guard. Danes have Iati, Jamar, and Lillis.

Biggest concern will be replacing Lucious.

Why is Zoellner listed as a junior on the current roster page? This must be a recent change as I'm quite sure he had been listed as a senior in earlier versions.

My preference for next recruit would be a 6'9" or 6'10" center with speed and good footwork but with enough bulk to hold his position in the post. In this league, where guard and small forward play dominate, having a slow, lumbering type of center even if he is 7'+ doesn't get it done. It seems that the glaring need for a power forward has been satified by Covington and Connelly - we'll have to wait for the season to determine that for sure - so, I'd go with a pure point guard as my second preference. I think we have plenty of shooting guards for the next two years.

Pool Man

I agree that 12 points is respectable for a very good team. I just think back to Dyson when he was a junior and put up great stats when Will Sheridan was there. Once Sheridan left, Dyson struggled. I forget what his actual numbers were (the numbers on the UA website are significantly exaggerated).

Good point re: Jamar

1. Jamar was a PG - I can understand lower points from a PG

2. Jamar was MVP in a couple of tournaments

3. There was a decent amount of information on Jamar. The recruiting rags had info on him, he was rated 3 stars, even before his senior year, there were people saying that he could go higher.

I am not saying that Yocum won't be a good player, I just have not been able to find any data yet.

For example, with Connelly and Brent Wilson - there were no big time players on their teams, but you knew they had good numbers as juniors and there was a lot of info on them online - AAU info, newspaper articles... Just trying to find the same type of info for this kid.

Yocum should be very interesting to follow this season. He may have a big upside.

As for his numbers 12 and 12 is pretty damn good, especially when you are playing with two great HS players who are 6'4" and 6'5" asthletes.

His team will be rated as one of the top HS teams in the country.

As for other recruits, I think we should first look at whats coming back for 06/07

Guards - J. Wilson(1yr), Iati (2yrs), Lillis (2yrs), Siggers (1yr), Johnson (1yr) and Bauman (2yrs)

Frontcourt - B. Wilson (2yrs), Connelly (3yrs), Covington (3yrs), and Graham (1yr)

1. Yocum give us another Big

2. we'll need another athletic penetrating guard

3. definately an athletic wing/sf

4. another Big - a Big, Big

I think the biggest mistake was not taking care of Coach for atleast 2 years last spring. If that was done I believe we would have a "Big" transfer sitting out this season and working out with the team every day. Instead we presently have a group of 6'7"-6'8" guys to fill the middle.

Hey, if your head is on the chopping block - its not the time to have a scholarship sitting out. Coach Brown could afford to do that when he took Lucious and Kirsten two years ago but now the atmosphere is different.

I think the biggest mistake was not taking care of Coach for atleast 2 years last spring. If that was done I believe we would have a "Big" transfer sitting out this season and working out with the team every day. Instead we presently have a group of 6'7"-6'8" guys to fill the middle.

Hey, if your head is on the chopping block - its not the time to have a scholarship sitting out. Coach Brown could afford to do that when he took Lucious and Kirsten two years ago but now the atmosphere is different.

9490[/snapback]

I have heard this also. Why would a coach stock the program for the fututre when it's clear he has to win this coming year.