UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Another perspective on Albany

I found this piece from the op-ed section of the Times-Union interesting.

It touches on a number of points about name, image, aspiration, tying them all back to the monumental struggle between the Great Danes and the Huskies

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...sdate=3/23/2006

I think there's unrestricetd access to this for seven days, starting from March 22

I found this piece from the op-ed section of the Times-Union interesting.

It touches on a number of  points about name, image, aspiration, tying them all back to the monumental struggle between the Great Danes and the Huskies

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...sdate=3/23/2006

I think there's unrestricetd access to this for seven days, starting from March 22

13506[/snapback]

Tim is a very smart guy, he teaches over on the 'East Campus' at the School of Public Health. He is a loyal Great Dane fan as I have seen him at every game I have been to in recent memory.

He does however make a good point in his article. It is not dawn on me until I looked on the wall at my degree (circa 1997) and looked at the top of it. At that time it was the State University of New York, University Center at Albany. I know that our identity has morphed a few times before that and a few more after that.

In my opinion it does not matter what the school was called when we graduated as in mine and Tim's (for his PhD) case SUNY University Center at Albany or if you graduated from the New York State College for Teachers in 1960 at the end of the day we all bleed purple and gold. That's what it is all about....

Oh yeah and SSS

State Normal School, May 7, 1844 - March 13, 1890

New York State Normal College, March 13, 1890 - April 30, 1914

New York State College for Teachers, April 30, 1914 - September 1, 1959

State University of New York College of Education at Albany, September 1, 1959 - October 16, 1961

State University College at Albany, October 12, 1961 - June 14, 1962

State University of New York at Albany, June 14, 1962

University at Albany, SUNY, Fall 1986

UAlum72 has it pretty accurately. As a student fro 1957-1962(BS & MS degrees), I was forced to buy new sweatshirts every year. NYS College for Teachers, College of Education at Albany, SUCE at Albany and SUNY at Albany. NOTE: It was never Albany State because it was always Albany State. I have had numerouse e-mails from the old Albany State educators who are very proud of the current UAlbany. We are Family!