UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NCAA Board of Directors agreed to eliminate the ECAC Football Classic and approve the bowl game vs. the Pioneer League

c. Proposal No. 2006-10 – Playing and Practice Seasons – Annual Exemptions – GRIDIRON CLASSIC – Division I-AA Football. The committee approved Proposal No. 2006-10 to eliminate the ECAC Football Classic as an annual contest exemption and establish the Gridiron Classic as an annual exemption for representatives from the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League and requested that the Board use it authority to approve the proposal as noncontroversial. (Unanimous Voice Vote).

BD ACTION: Adopted the proposal as noncontroversial legislation. (Unanimous Voice Vote) – Effective Date: Immediate.

Welcome: GRIDIRON CLASSIC!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROPOSAL NO. 2006-10 – PLAYING AND PRACTICE SEASONS -- ANNUAL EXEMPTIONS -- GRIDIRON CLASSIC -- DIVISION I-AA FOOTBALL

Intent: To eliminate the ECAC Football Classic as an annual contest exemption and establish the Gridiron Classic as an annual exemption for representatives from the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League.

Bylaws: Amend 17.11.5.2, pages 277-278, as follows:

The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following (see Figure 17-13):

[17.11.5.2-(a) through 17.11.5.2-(h) unchanged.]

"(i) ECAC Football Gridiron Classic. Participation in the ECAC Football Gridiron Classic held between representatives from the Northeast Conference and the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Pioneer Football League."

[Remainder of 17.11.5.2 unchanged.]

Source: NCAA Division I Management Council (Division I-AA Governance Committee).

Effective Date: Immediate

Proposal Category: Amendment

Topical Area: Playing and Practice Seasons

Rationale: The Pioneer Football League and the Northeast Conference wish to participate in a postseason championship game in lieu of participating in the Division I-AA playoffs. With no NCAA sponsored postseason championship for conferences offering a limited or no football scholarships, this represents the only viable postseason opportunity for the champions of these two leagues at this time. The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference is no longer committed to participate in a postseason championship game with the Northeast Conference. The Gridiron Classic would replace the ECAC Football Classic, which is currently an exempted event that is no longer being conducted.

Estimated Budget Impact: Impact for participating institutions.

Impact on Student Athlete's Time: Impact for student-athletes at participating institutions.

===============

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance...April/Att_B.htm

Rationale: The Pioneer Football League and the Northeast Conference wish to participate in a postseason championship game in lieu of participating in the Division I-AA playoffs. With no NCAA sponsored postseason championship for conferences offering a limited or no football scholarships, this represents the only viable postseason opportunity for the champions of these two leagues at this time. The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference is no longer committed to participate in a postseason championship game with the Northeast Conference. The Gridiron Classic would replace the ECAC Football Classic, which is currently an exempted event that is no longer being conducted.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance...April/Att_B.htm

14298[/snapback]

So I read this as saying that even if we, or anyone else with a good enough schedule, end up 10-1 or 11-0 we are not eligible for an at-large bid? It specifically says "in lieu of participating the Divison I-AA playoffs..."

That sucks if you ask me. Who cares of about this bowl game, we should care about making the playoffs.

I think a UAlbany/ UDayton game would be a good match up having lived in both places and attended games at each.  The other pioneer teams are spread out quite a bit. 

I would love to play in dayton.  Lots of high school talent in that area.

14303[/snapback]

I to would like to see a Albany - Dayton game, but a regular season game, not some cheap playoff substitute.

• 3 weeks later...

Announcement of the Gridiron Classic on the UA site:

NORTHEAST CONFERENCE & PIONEER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS TO MEET IN GRIDIRON CLASSIC

Somerset, N.J. -- The Northeast Conference (NEC) and Pioneer Football League (PFL) on Tuesday, May 16 announced a two-year agreement to meet in the Gridiron Classic, an exempted postseason football game that will match the champions of the two I-AA football conferences.

The inaugural Gridiron Classic will take place on Saturday, November 18 with the NEC champion serving as host.  The PFL winner will host the 2007 event.

“We are very pleased about the postseason opportunity that the Gridiron Classic affords our student-athletes,” said Ron Ratner, NEC Interim Commissioner.  “The NEC and its schools look forward to working with the PFL in making this a highly anticipated game at the I-AA level.”

“Student-athletes thrive on competition and having a meaningful postseason opportunity is a high priority for our institutions,” said Patty Viverito, PFL Commissioner.  “The PFL’s new full round-robin schedule will crown a true league champion and the Gridiron Classic gives our best team the chance to test and showcase their talents against another top-notch Division I-AA champion.”

Central Connecticut State and Stony Brook are the defending NEC co-champions, while San Diego is the reigning PFL champion.

The Northeast Conference consists of 11 institutions of higher learning located throughout five states and is celebrating its 25th year as an NCAA Division I collegiate athletic association.  Media coverage of the NEC extends to four of the largest markets in the United States - New York (#1), Pittsburgh (#22), Baltimore (#24), and Hartford/New Haven (#28).  Founded in 1981 as the basketball-only ECAC Metro Conference.  The NEC began sponsoring football at the I-AA level in 1996, and has since increased its membership from five to eight institutions. Central Connecticut State, Monmouth, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, St. Francis (PA) and Wagner are full-time NEC members who sponsor football, and they are joined by associate members Albany and Stony Brook.

Set to begin its 14th season, the Pioneer Football League is one of three Division I football-only sport conferences.  The PFL is comprised of eight members: Butler, Dayton, Davidson, Drake, Jacksonville, Morehead State, San Diego and Valparaiso.