UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Friends, Family, and Alumni of UAlbany Volleyball,

Hello! I apologize for not getting this out earlier in the week, we've been busy getting ready for our home tournament this weekend.

For those of you in the area, I'd like to invite you and your families to come out and watch our home opener on Friday night when we open with Syracuse at 7:00. The past two years this has been a great match that has gone 5 games. After the match the team will be signing autographs and handing out posters.

On Saturday we play Temple at noon and close the tournament with a very good Middle Tennessee State team at 7:00. I hope to see many of you in the stands and yelling!

Thanks for your support! GO GREAT DANES!!!

Kelly

Anyone know how the Lady Danes fared against Middle Tennessee State?

I'm assuming that no news is bad news; otherwise, the score would have been posted here.

16199[/snapback]

I found out the answer to my own question on the MTSU site. For those of you who are interested, UAlbany lost.

"Middle Tennessee volleyball (9-4) won its second tournament of the season with a 3-0 (30-25, 30-25, 30-26)) shutout of host Albany (4-6) on Saturday in University Gymnasium at the University of Albany Tournament."

Although the Danes lost in straight sets to MTSU, they put up quite a fight. Overall, a good weekend for a greatly improving squad.

Good luck in the next match.

The latest volleyball blast from Coach Sheffield:

09/19/06

Dear Alumni, Family, and Friends of UAlbany Volleyball:

This past weekend we hosted some terrific competition at The UAlbany Classic. Our first match was against a young and talented Syracuse squad. We were able to pick up a great 3-1 win against the Orange (30-20, 30-26, 23-30, 30-21). It was the third straight win for the Great Danes against them. Ashley Crenshaw and Kamisha Kellam both put on a heck of a show. Crenshaw had one of the best offensive matches for the Danes in the past half dozen years with 20 Kills, 0 Errors, in 29 Attempts for a .690 hitting percentage. Kellam hit .476 with 13 Kills in her 21 Attempts to go along with 7 Blocks. As a team we hit a season-high .354.

On Saturday we played a very experienced Temple team. We found ourselves in a cat-fight early and showed tremendous toughness and poise as we gutted out a 5 game win (22-30, 30-24, 30-25, 25-30, 15-8). With our backs against the wall in game 3, Bev Hazell and Mari Serkowski both put a lot of pressure on the Owls with their serves and were big reasons why we were able to come back after being down 21-12, going on an 18-4 run to close out the game.

In the third match we played against probably the most athletic team that we'll face all season in Middle Tennessee. The match had some outstanding plays from both teams, but in the end MTSU pulled out a 3-0 win (30-25, 30-25, 30-26). Ashley DeNeal had a great match and was named to the All-Tournament Team along with Ashley Crenshaw. DeNeal was also named America East Player of the Year this past week. The team competed hard all weekend and continues to get better and better as the season progresses. This is what DeNeal had to say about the weekend: "I think this was a huge weekend for our team. We've said that our goal for this season is to improve with every match we play, and I think we really showed that this weekend. The win over Syracuse was big for us, but winning our first 5-game match of the season over Temple was even bigger. We proved that we are a team that's willing to fight. Even in picking up a loss to a good Middle Tennessee team, it served as a great experience for our blockers. Going up against that type of a fast-tempo offense is really going to help prepare us for teams we will meet down the road."

This week we play in our last pre-conference tournament when we travel to Yale to play the host Bulldogs (Sat. 7 PM), along with Rhode Island (Sat. 11 AM) and Central Connecticut (Fri. 5 PM). If you can't be there, you can follow the action on GameTracker. Our web-site will have a link up on the day of the game.

I want to thank Eileen Daugherty for all of her help and work in getting the Booster Club off of the ground. If you are interested in joining, please contact Eileen at: uavb.booster@gmail.com. Membership will get you a UAlbany Volleyball shirt, invitations to post-match meals, chalk talks, and socials. Hopefully you all will show your support by joining!

Thanks for your support! GO GREAT DANES!!!