UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Pipikis Out For Year!!!!!!!!!

He came in with Wyatt didn't he? I thought he was classified as a soph because of overseas playing or something. So academically he should be back next year unless he's graduating early which is quite possible because he is a pretty good student.

But even if that were true, wouldn't that mean he was out of eligibility after this year anyhow? They classify you due to playing overseas (I dont know this is the case, I'm going off what you said) and then that is it, you don't regain years. You start as a soph. and you can play for three years, regardless of your academic year.

But in any event, I do not believe he can apply for a redshirt. 20% of 27 scheduled games is 5.4 games. So assuming they round up for your benefit, our sixth game was Sacred Heart on the 20th. He got injured on the 27th, I believe. So going off what I understand to be true (20% of games), he would be ineligible.

But even if that were true, wouldn't that mean he was out of eligibility after this year anyhow?  They classify you due to playing overseas (I dont know this is the case, I'm going off what you said) and then that is it, you don't regain years.  You start as a soph. and you can play for three years, regardless of your academic year.

But in any event, I do not believe he can apply for a redshirt.  20% of 27 scheduled games is 5.4 games.  So assuming they round up for your benefit, our sixth game was Sacred Heart on the 20th.  He got injured on the 27th, I believe.  So going off what I understand to be true (20% of games), he would be ineligible.

That's why he has to apply for a waiver of the rule. If he had played only four games, the medical redshirt would not be questioned. With more than 20% played, the NCAA MAY grant a waiver, which is probably pretty rare but not totally unknown, and it may be worth a shot.

Pipikis is going to graduate and his career is over. For the program to move forward guy's like Wyatt and Pipikis need to move on.

Pipikis was starting to show glimpses but with Zollner, B.Wilson, and Dyson coming in and Jamar, Jordan, Levi, Bauman, Lillis, and Iati the talent level is getting better. Martin will be good with strength and Q will continue to be a contributor.

Pipikis had been dead weight in his career with the exception being Sacred Heart and Lehigh. Two games in a career isn't worth even seeking a waiver.

I will feel real confident next year with a line-up of

Wilson, Jordan, Levi, Dyson, and Zollner(Will Dyson start or will Iati start and Levi play PF) (Iati will be real good with good players!!!!!!!!!!!)

Bench

Iati, B.Wilson, BAuman, Q, Lillis, Martin, Hughes(Yes, He'll be back)

Forget About

Johnson, Cheese, Knotts, and Wyatt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

professor

I love your compassionate way with words.......

Pipikis had been dead weight in his career with the exception being Sacred Heart and Lehigh. Two games in a career isn't worth even seeking a waiver. - professor

Pipikis was a limited player but he was starting to come around, we'll miss him especially this year.

I would hope next year's starting lineup at the start of the season will be Iati, Jamar, Lucious, Levi and Zoellner. As a Freshman if he's that good bring Dyson in after 5 minutes until he proves himself.

We're 1/3 of the way through this season and I think something is owed (starting) Levi and Iati just for their perseverence. After 5 minutes you start rotating players and then it's up to who is doing the best job.

As for Hughes being back - from a fans vantage point I don't think he's been here yet.

I agree he has been dead weight and it would be better for the team if he moved on...

However, is there any way for the school or coaching staff to gracefully tell him not to apply for a waiver?

and/or to basically tell him even if you get the waiver, you're not welcome back and we won't honor another year of scholarship for you?

I am just wondering if anyone knows the legality of it with the NCAA. Obviously, you could choose to non-renew any scholarship at any time, but no one does that so as not to risk a hit to the credibility of the school and coaching staff (at least they don't do it when the kid is in good standing).

However, let's say the NCAA gave him the waiver and he was free to come back. The school would probably have to tell him they didn't want him to come back (assuming that was the case), because I don't think there is any other way to get around it.

Also, it really wouldn't make sense for him to come back. Too many players next season as it is.