UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It's Official: Two new men's bb players

This announcement was posted on the UAlbany Athletic website this afternoon.

Albany, N.Y. -- University at Albany men's basketball coach Will Brown announced on Thursday, Nov. 9 that two student-athletes have signed national letters of intent to play for the Great Danes in the 2007-08 academic year. Billy Allen, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound swingman from Hamilton, Ohio (Hamilton H.S.), and Anthony Raffa, a 6-foot-1, 175-pound point guard from Strathmere, N.J. (Wildwood Catholic H.S.) each made his commitment during the early signing period.

Allen was named to the 2005-06 Associated Press Division I All-Ohio squad in the honorable mention category. He averaged 17.3 points, 7.9 rebounds and 5.0 assists when he was chosen to the All-Southwest District second team. Allen, who posted a triple-double in one game as a junior, also earned a spot on the All-Greater Miami Conference squad. He contributed 12.0 points and 5.5 rebounds in his sophomore campaign, and was the sixth man on Hamilton 's 2003-04 Division I state championship team.

"He understands the game as a coach's son," UAlbany head coach Will Brown said. "He is a big-time shooter and plays every position on the floor for his high school team. His versatility, shooting ability and physical make-up will allow him the opportunity to make an impact as a freshman."

Raffa was the second-leading scorer in the Cape Atlantic League at 22.7 points per game. He also ranked among the league leaders in assists (3.0 pg), steals (3.3 pg) and free throw percentage (.715). As a junior, he was voted first-team All-Cape Atlantic League National Conference. Raffa led Wildwood Catholic to New Jersey 's Non-Public Class B final, the program's first appearance in the championship since 1988. The Crusaders, who went 22-8 overall, also captured the South Jersey , sectional and CAL National titles. Raffa averaged 11.0 points per game as a sophomore.

"He is our point guard of the future and a fierce competitor," Brown offered. "He led his team to the state championship game and played at the prestigious ABCD summer camp last year. He is fearless and can flat out make plays, so we have high expectations that he will have a postive effect on our program from day one."

UAlbany made its first-ever NCAA Division I Tournament appearance after winning the America East Conference championship last season with a 21-11 record. The Great Danes have two seniors on their current roster in reigning America East player of the year and Associated Press All-America Jamar Wilson (6'1") and projected starter Jason Siggers (6'4").

It's nice to have these guys sign with UAlbany officially.

Good to hear...seems like another fine job of recruiting by Coach Brown.

It is also good to see so many commitments to the program in the early signing period.

It appears as though UAlbany is well established on the national recruting radar. Now we just have to hope for continued success.

A lot of the descriptions I've seen of Raffa talk about his toughness and competitiveness. I was happy to see this years recruiting class for the first time and now I can't wait to see next year's class. If the current form holds Raffa will be able to come in and play behind Lillis for a year before taking over or competing with James for the job.

Archived