UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

My head went thru the roof when I saw this letter to the editor (below). I responded with some choice words. SUNY is the largest university in the country and the lax win over a #1 team was huge. SUNY generally and UAlbany specifically is going to be taken seriously!

--------------------------------

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/2/ARTI...2007-02-27.html

I am writing to you as a member of the Virginia Tech track and field team, and the opinions that I am expressing here are the opinions of most of my teammates.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

The Virginia Tech women's track and field team captured the school's first ACC title since the football team did the same in 2004, beating some of the most storied and strongest track programs in the country and all you gave them was a small blurb in the weekend roundup. Even worse, the headline story of the weekend is apparently that the lacrosse team beat SUNY Albany. This is a disgrace to the school and all of the athletes who work hard to accomplish what was just accomplished this weekend, and you all apparently could not care less.

My head went thru the roof when I saw this letter to the editor (below). I responded with some choice words. SUNY is the largest university in the country and the lax win over a #1 team was huge. SUNY generally and UAlbany specifically is going to be taken seriously!

--------------------------------

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/2/ARTI...2007-02-27.html

I am writing to you as a member of the Virginia Tech track and field team, and the opinions that I am expressing here are the opinions of most of my teammates.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

The Virginia Tech women's track and field team captured the school's first ACC title since the football team did the same in 2004, beating some of the most storied and strongest track programs in the country and all you gave them was a small blurb in the weekend roundup. Even worse, the headline story of the weekend is apparently that the lacrosse team beat SUNY Albany. This is a disgrace to the school and all of the athletes who work hard to accomplish what was just accomplished this weekend, and you all apparently could not care less.

I guess the matter of who beat whom in the lacrosse game cited is NOT a matter of disrespect.

Remember, he's complaining about the lead story being VaTech's 42nd ranked women's lax team beating #54 Albany compared to their winning their conference T&F championship, in what I'd guess is VT's home paper. More of disrespect for lacrosse by another track athlete than for the relatively unknown (what I think is still the formally named) State University of NY at Albany.

He's not talking about being overshadowed by the Johns Hopkins game.

Remember, he's complaining about the lead story being VaTech's 42nd ranked women's lax team beating #54 Albany compared to their winning their conference T&F championship, in what I'd guess is VT's home paper. More of disrespect for lacrosse by another track athlete than for the relatively unknown (what I think is still the formally named) State University of NY at Albany.

He's not talking about being overshadowed by the Johns Hopkins game.

Thanks, UAalum72, for the clarification. Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks for the clarifiaction, my mistake. I'm just tired to the lack of respect and general dismissive attitude that I hear in regards to UAlbany and SUNY generally. I guess my problem is more with the tone of the letter than the facts. I don't like being dismissed as some SUNY school. I think the below line is what really got my goat.

--------------------------------------

"It literally made me sick to my stomach how little you all apparently care about such a huge accomplishment, and how much you care about a win over a SUNY school."

Thanks for the clarifiaction, my mistake. I'm just tired to the lack of respect and general dismissive attitude that I hear in regards to UAlbany and SUNY generally. I guess my problem is more with the tone of the letter than the facts. I don't like being dismissed as some SUNY school. I think the below line is what really got my goat.

--------------------------------------

"It literally made me sick to my stomach how little you all apparently care about such a huge accomplishment, and how much you care about a win over a SUNY school."

I agree. Sometimes I feel as if all the name changes have hurt our identity. I'd be happy just to be known as UAlbany and leave SUNY out of the name. I feel it gives us more of an identity. At least that would let people know who we are.

Archived