UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

DI Baseball Question

Hey, just wondering if anyone could answer a question for me about baseball scholarships at the Division I level. I've played ball my whole life, up until college, and never got a chance to understand how people get scholarships. My little brother is 16 now (high school junior) and he's got some filthy stuff. He's a left-handed pitcher and throws at around 87-89mph right now with a mean curve, slider and change. He plays for one of the bigger private high school baseball teams in Brooklyn and we're wondering how the process works. Do schools contact the kids (ala basketball?) or is the kid expected to be a little more active: sending out tapes, etc. I don't really know who to talk to about this, so i figure this is a good forum. I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Hey, just wondering if anyone could answer a question for me about baseball scholarships at the Division I level. I've played ball my whole life, up until college, and never got a chance to understand how people get scholarships. My little brother is 16 now (high school junior) and he's got some filthy stuff. He's a left-handed pitcher and throws at around 87-89mph right now with a mean curve, slider and change. He plays for one of the bigger private high school baseball teams in Brooklyn and we're wondering how the process works. Do schools contact the kids (ala basketball?) or is the kid expected to be a little more active: sending out tapes, etc. I don't really know who to talk to about this, so i figure this is a good forum. I'd greatly appreciate the help.

LOL...ahhh baseball.

Does your brother go to Poly or Xaverian?

I played in Brookyn at a public school, which at the time was one of the top teams in the East Coast...an nationally ranked.

Baseball, which was the sport I was most heavily recruited for, is an odd sport.

Bottom line...ACTIVITY AND COACH. The player must be active and the coach must be proactive. ABOVE ALL...I REPEAT...THE PLAYER MUST BE ACTIVE.

Quick story. When in school, Manny Ramirez and my best friend finished 1 and 2 for the PSAL Pegasus/Iron Horse Award (top player). Both were drafted...however my buddy always wanted to go to college. Turns out...our coach was an ass. Not a good guy at all. We ended up having 9 starters, over two years, either play college ball or get drafted and play pro. NONE DUE TO THE COACH.

Anyway, my buddy ended up at Brooklyn College, which at the time played in the old ECC (RIDER and some other schools). This kid was a stud. We found out later that our coach never answered calls from UNO, Florida State, Texas, etc. about him. After a year at Brooklyn College, the school disbanded sports (brought it back a few years later at DIII). He was pimping himself out and the coaches at Hofstra said "We thought you were going to UNO, Florida State, etc...and we didnt bother recruiting you. We WOULD HAVE IF YOU HAD CONTACTED US."

He ended up being one of the best players in school history at Hofstra and then moved on to pro ball before a massive shoulder injury ended his days (he was a catcher).

Moral: PIMP YOUR BROTHER OUT.

On a smaller scale, the same happened to me at some DI schools.

As a lefty pitcher throwing in the mid-high 80's, your brother should have NO PROBLEM getting a DI ride. Lefties with good stuff are hard to come by. The major difference between DI and DII or DIII ball is the ability to place a ball. If your brother has decent mechanics and good control...he is a no brainer.

Most rides are not full, they are partial, but the schools usually arrange for work study to cover some...and you take out small loans for the rest.

An example of a decent, but not great lefty, would be Noah Shapiro out of Midwood H.S. Close family friend...but we shallacked him each time we played him (his E.R.A. had to be over 8 against us, though about 3.5 overall.) He ended up at William and Mary and got some time as a frosh before a nasty and well publicized racial allegation with the head coach to another player. Noah transferred to Hofstra...and played some great baseball.

Start calling coaches....it is the best way. And even if they say no...send in videotapes!!!

LOL...ahhh baseball.

Does your brother go to Poly or Xaverian?

I played in Brookyn at a public school, which at the time was one of the top teams in the East Coast...an nationally ranked.

Baseball, which was the sport I was most heavily recruited for, is an odd sport.

Bottom line...ACTIVITY AND COACH. The player must be active and the coach must be proactive. ABOVE ALL...I REPEAT...THE PLAYER MUST BE ACTIVE.

Quick story. When in school, Manny Ramirez and my best friend finished 1 and 2 for the PSAL Pegasus/Iron Horse Award (top player). Both were drafted...however my buddy always wanted to go to college. Turns out...our coach was an ass. Not a good guy at all. We ended up having 9 starters, over two years, either play college ball or get drafted and play pro. NONE DUE TO THE COACH.

Anyway, my buddy ended up at Brooklyn College, which at the time played in the old ECC (RIDER and some other schools). This kid was a stud. We found out later that our coach never answered calls from UNO, Florida State, Texas, etc. about him. After a year at Brooklyn College, the school disbanded sports (brought it back a few years later at DIII). He was pimping himself out and the coaches at Hofstra said "We thought you were going to UNO, Florida State, etc...and we didnt bother recruiting you. We WOULD HAVE IF YOU HAD CONTACTED US."

He ended up being one of the best players in school history at Hofstra and then moved on to pro ball before a massive shoulder injury ended his days (he was a catcher).

Moral: PIMP YOUR BROTHER OUT.

On a smaller scale, the same happened to me at some DI schools.

As a lefty pitcher throwing in the mid-high 80's, your brother should have NO PROBLEM getting a DI ride. Lefties with good stuff are hard to come by. The major difference between DI and DII or DIII ball is the ability to place a ball. If your brother has decent mechanics and good control...he is a no brainer.

Most rides are not full, they are partial, but the schools usually arrange for work study to cover some...and you take out small loans for the rest.

An example of a decent, but not great lefty, would be Noah Shapiro out of Midwood H.S. Close family friend...but we shallacked him each time we played him (his E.R.A. had to be over 8 against us, though about 3.5 overall.) He ended up at William and Mary and got some time as a frosh before a nasty and well publicized racial allegation with the head coach to another player. Noah transferred to Hofstra...and played some great baseball.

Start calling coaches....it is the best way. And even if they say no...send in videotapes!!!

Wow, thank goodness for people like you on this board. Very helpful!! Yes, my brother is a pitcher at Xavarian; I live up here in Albany and can't see him play as much since i'm going to school but my father tells me that he is the ace of the staff over any senior on the varsity club. I'll be sure to tell my dad to start contacting people. Thank you very much though, very appreciated!

Go to the UAlbany Athletics Homepage and in the left column you will find a link to recruiting forms which can be downloaded and will walk you through the process--good luck--most baseball schollys are partial but it still adds up to a very inexpensive education and a great experience.

Archived