UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Guys

I've been reading a lot regarding the new guys, and those recently signed this week.

Had a few questions and thought maybe some here could clear them up/give your thoughts

#1) What is a partial qualifier? As is the case with Ambrose, he seems freakishly athletic and a solid basketball player. Will be be a recipient of a scholarship? If not, does this revolve around him originally having to go to a prep school because of his lack of a good SAT score? Or are the 2 not related?

#2) What do you think the depth chart would be, especially as it relates to our guards. It seems that we are obviously stacked and everyone that Coach has seemingly signed he praises extremely high. Who do you anticipated getting the most burn/having the biggest impact/being the overall best players?

thx

1) A partial qualifier is someone who didn't meet NCAA academic standards to compete. He evidently enrolled at UA this year to solidify his academis standing. He can be eligible next season and if he graduates in 4 years from initial enrollment he will get a 4th year of eligibility make his 1st year like a red shirt season.

2) With all the new bodies entering we have no clue who will get time everything you read about the newbies is just opinion and speculation. All recruits look good on paper and if the coaches didn't think they had potential they wouldn't have recruited them.

In regard to depth at guard......

Lillis America East Defensive POY - has been a hesitant shooter but an extremely solid player who can score.

Iati (ex-ROY) when healthy is a prolific shooter - 2 shoulder injuries and a broken toe has limited him at times.

Reid Anderson showed flashes at times until he came down with mono late in the season - seems to have a big upside if he gets stronger

Billy Allen, Tim Ambrose, Anthony Raffa, Robert Moores and Jerel Hastings are all interesting commodities but are not proven DI players. To me I believe they have alot of serious potential but at this time it's all speculation.

So what this says to me is there will be some mighty battles for playing time on the perimeter and those that can score consistently and defend will win time.

1) A partial qualifier is someone who didn't meet NCAA academic standards to compete. He evidently enrolled at UA this year to solidify his academis standing. He can be eligible next season and if he graduates in 4 years from initial enrollment he will get a 4th year of eligibility make his 1st year like a red shirt season.

2) With all the new bodies entering we have no clue who will get time everything you read about the newbies is just opinion and speculation. All recruits look good on paper and if the coaches didn't think they had potential they wouldn't have recruited them.

In regard to depth at guard......

Lillis America East Defensive POY - has been a hesitant shooter but an extremely solid player who can score.

Iati (ex-ROY) when healthy is a prolific shooter - 2 shoulder injuries and a broken toe has limited him at times.

Reid Anderson showed flashes at times until he came down with mono late in the season - seems to have a big upside if he gets stronger

Billy Allen, Tim Ambrose, Anthony Raffa, Robert Moores and Jerel Hastings are all interesting commodities but are not proven DI players. To me I believe they have alot of serious potential but at this time it's all speculation.

So what this says to me is there will be some mighty battles for playing time on the perimeter and those that can score consistently and defend will win time.

Ambrose has been quoted in the Singalis blogs as being on schedule with his academics to play next season as apparently he will be/already is qualified.

I agree with Patch, there are allot of new faces entering the program. How it all plays out and what type of players they will be remains to be seen but there is allot of potential there. It will be similar to the Anderson situation last year. He apparently bought into the system, practiced really hard and was rewarded with solid minutes over guys like Ross and Knight. Towards the end of the season and the confrence tourney Ross also bought into the system and started getting some minutes, while Knight never got on track. One thing is for certain, competition for playing time will be fierce, it will raise the level of play/intensity in practice and should in theory translate onto the court.

It might be a bumpy ride in the OOC due to the large influx of new players but mid to late season this team should be firing on all cylinders with great talent. If you look at coach Browns team, this is how it usually plays out and by the end of the season we are rolling.

I wonder how the new guys learn of the importance (to the fans) of the LCC game ... . Many of this guys are from other areas of the country; perhaps it's just another game to them (though they are 3 times as many fans in the crowd!)? I wonder what the players and coaches think of the LCC rivalry ... .

Archived