UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

TU Blog - OT Siena

Siena hoops not making the grade

May 2, 2007 at 3:55 pm by Pete Iorizzo, Staff writer

The NCAA released its 2005-06 Academic Progress Rate figures Wednesday, and the numbers show Siena men’s basketball falls below minimum standards.

But the news isn’t as bad as it sounds.

This marks only the third year of the APR, which measures athletes’ ability to meet eligibility requirements. Because of the small sample size, schools with low scores won’t be subjected to penalties until next year, by which time Siena officials expect to be above the minimum standard.

“I’m confident we’ve gotten through the worst part of it,” athletic director John D’Argenio said.

For those unfamiliar with it, here’s a brief backgrounder on the APR: Each program receives a score between 1 and 1,000. A score of 925, which equals a graduation rate of about 60 percent, is considered the minimum standard. Schools earn points when their athletes remain both eligible and at the school.

This year, any school with a sport receiving a score of less than 900 received a warning letter. Next year, the fourth year of the APR, programs with scores of less than 925 face penalties, which can vary from reductions in scholarships to loss of practice time.

The Siena men’s basketball team received a score of 907, which ranks it between the 20th and 30th percentiles of all Division I programs.

That score takes into account data from the past three academic years. During that time, Siena saw seven players transfer and another (Antoine Jordan) exhaust his eligibility and leave school without graduating.

For Siena, the good news is that the score should improve by next year. No transfers appear imminent, and the team’s seniors are expected to graduate.

It’s also worth noting that nationally the men’s basketball average score is 927.7. For all sports combined, the average is score 960.

Siena finished above the threshold in all other sports.

“When you look at it as a whole,” D’Argenio said, “I think we’re on the right path.”

Does anyone know where UA stands?

Looks OK so far

University at Albany Academic Progress Rate - rate has to be 925 to avoid penalties

Colleges subject to penalties this year includes Bing wrestling, Buffalo football

Check out all schools we are 'University at Albany' under "U"

Though for basketball I might worry about the number of transfers both from the Beeten turnover and lately - students have six years to graduate before it counts against the school

Looks OK so far

University at Albany Academic Progress Rate - rate has to be 925 to avoid penalties

Colleges subject to penalties this year includes Bing wrestling, Buffalo football

Though for basketball I might worry about the number of transfers both from the Beeten turnover and lately - students have six years to graduate before it counts against the school

Thank you, this it's excellent information.

I was suprised to see some of the sports that were on that list; i.e., mens' and womens' golf, cross country, swimming, etc. Cross country suprised me the most. I've never known distance runners to slack off in other pursuits in life; it's such a mentally challenging sport ... .

A concern that I had is that (and maybe concern is too strong of a word; rather, it's just something that I noticed) of all the schools on that list: Binghamton, Buffalo, and Arizona are the only schools (i) with a sports team(s) on that list, and (ii) that also appear on the top national universities list by US News and World Reports. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/r...tudoc_brief.php

In other words, only 3 schools in the country that are considered to be tier 1 or tier 2 schools (Bingo, Buffalo, and Arizona are all tier 2 schools) have a team(s) that is on that list of teams subject to discipline, and 2 out of the 3 are SUNY University Centers. Interesting ...

Looks OK so far

The graduation rate hardly factors into the APR at all - the two criteria are (1) passing your courses and (2) returning for the next semester (or graduating if the player is a second-semester senior). Anyone who left the program before this academic year is already in the numbers and cannot affect it any further.

Where the players who left in recent years will affect you is the graduation rate. As you stated, the NCAA gives players six years to graduate. Here is a link to the most up-to-date NCAA graduation rates: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/k...l_gsr_data.html

Archived