UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA disrespected again

madDOG

Only the governor can improve SUNY because SUNY is too big and too bureaucratic to fix itself.

Spitzer doesn't give a squared deuce about improving SUNY, or anything for that matter. The only reason he'll even get a second term as governor is the New York way of 1) the ruling party having complete faith in their incumbents, no matter how crappy of a job they're doing and 2) if the GOP is on the outside looking in, dawdle SUNY-style until 6 months before the election before naming a candidate and underfund him while the opposition has gotten an obscene jump start on funding and name recognition.

Can we borrow Sonny Purdue to fix our state? Or could any Nutmeggers reading this lend us Jodi Rell. Some days I wish there was no SUNY, or no New York, and other states would just carve us. UConn/Albany or UMass/Albany kinda has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? ^_^

I think Albany students and alumni should take these "rankings" with a grain of salt. There are other much more reputable rankings of Universities available. In 2006,University at Albany was ranked among the top 300 universities in the WORLD and 45th among world universities in Social Sciences by the Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jaio Tong University, Shanghai ,China ( SJSU) participant in the International Expert Group Created to Improve Higher Education Rankings. The National Science Foundation also has much more objective rankings of US Universities. UAlbany ranks 77th nationally in NSF funded research, behind Carnegie Mellon at #76. Since medical and engineering schools usually receive mucher higher total dollar amounts of grants, when the rankings exclude grant money from these schools, UAlbany is ranked 38th nationally. Therefore, using the most objective measurement NSF funded research as guide, UAlbany is 38th in the nation. I believe 38th in the nation is a much more accurate ranking . When you consider UAlbany has the number ranked Nanotechnology school in the country, and other very highly ranked programs ;How can it possibly be ranked between 200 and 300 in the nation??

All magazine rankings of educational instutional are suspect IMHO.

ahh

whose payroll are you on?

Albany needs a plan and to execute on that plan.

Albany needs a President to make a plan and execute on that plan, but SUNY Central seems to like dawdling and starving the Albany campus of leadership rather than helping the school. Name me one other school who took TWO YEARS to find a new president, sudden case or no?

I thought the death of someone important made the search for a replacement urgent, not something to take extra long in doing. I guess SUNY and UA are proving that convention to be false. :angry2: If we could only borrow Simpson from Buffalo or DeFleur from Bing and have those schools go without leadership for a while...

I'm normally fine with people disagreeing with things, but please at least get your information correct here. This whole summer you've said we haven't had a President for two years. In fact, the one year mark of President's Hall death was just last week. Now granted, it might end up being a year and a half, or even two, until we have a permanent President in place, but there's no need to say it's been two years when it has actually just barely been one.

Second, it is often the case that when high-level administrators leave, the writing is usually on the wall much earlier (from either the employer or employee), meaning the unofficial search process can start it's gears moving. Obviously this WAS NOT the case with President Hall.

A high-level search is not a quick process, whether we're in the position to capitalize on UAlbany's recent national success or not. Search firms must be selected and search committee members are often high-level people themselves (both within the school and not), meaning it takes time to organize meetings and candidate interviews. The time length we are seeing is the NORM, not an oddity.

While SUNY Central does have some involvement, it is not correct to assume that them 'dragging' their feet would stall the entire process. A campus search committee recommends a couple candidates to the SUNY Chancellor (John Clark, who's currently in an interim role..which further complicates the process), the Chancellor then selects one candidate to submit to the SUNY Board of Trustees, who then vote on that nominee. The SUNY Board meets about every 1 or 2 months, which again adds on time.

It's certainly understandable to be frustrated with the lengthy process, but that doesn't mean that we should bash those involved. I'd rather be patient and hire a great future President, than rush and end up with someone we all might not be that happy with.

Albany needs a plan and to execute on that plan.

Albany needs a President to make a plan and execute on that plan, but SUNY Central seems to like dawdling and starving the Albany campus of leadership rather than helping the school. Name me one other school who took TWO YEARS to find a new president, sudden case or no?

I thought the death of someone important made the search for a replacement urgent, not something to take extra long in doing. I guess SUNY and UA are proving that convention to be false. :angry2: If we could only borrow Simpson from Buffalo or DeFleur from Bing and have those schools go without leadership for a while...

I'm normally fine with people disagreeing with things, but please at least get your information correct here. This whole summer you've said we haven't had a President for two years. In fact, the one year mark of President's Hall death was just last week. Now granted, it might end up being a year and a half, or even two, until we have a permanent President in place, but there's no need to say it's been two years when it has actually just barely been one.

You must have misread what I've been saying: By the time we get a new president, it will be two years. It still worries me given that other positions, ranging from heads of state to announcers of The Price is Right, get replaced a lot quicker than two years after their deaths.

It's certainly understandable to be frustrated with the lengthy process, but that doesn't mean that we should bash those involved. I'd rather be patient and hire a great future President, than rush and end up with someone we all might not be that happy with.

Go back to 1994 with those words and the Princeton Review might not have it out for us. What I fear is that UA, after all that time, will choose Hitchcock 2.0 which will run the school in the ground and that Hall was our one chance that ended too soon.

Archived