UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

This team

...is probably one of the most interesting teams I've followed to date. With the exception of the Giants recently, most NY teams are black and white. They either suck (Knicks) or are dominant (Yanks). However, this team is so grey it makes you sit back and just laugh at the rollercoaster when you look at things in the grander scheme. When you expect (or see it highly possible) that they are going to lose a game, they play hard and win. And when you assume they are going to win, they come out flat. This is what gives me hope going into the tournament. As a young team, they probably don't (and this is something that is typically acquired over time - look at someone even like Lebron for example) have that killer instinct or do or die mentality. However, once that comes into play and the team matures mentally, moreso than physically, they could be a DEADLY team in a few weeks. They are hopefully slowly realizing that in a 1-bid conference, EVERY game is extremely important. We have some REAL talent on this team. It'll be a great next few years.

Yeah. There is a lot of hope after seeing how they played last night. I disagree about EVERY game being THAT important in this conference. It's a 1 bid team conference, so it's going to be whoever wins the A.E. tournament, the regular season virtually means nothing as long as you can hang around the top like the Hartford's and Albany's are doing at the moment.

I disagree. While the tournament is ultimately what decides your postseason or lack thereof, homecourt in the AE is extremely important. Going into last year's AE championship, we were 0-9 at Patrick if I'm correct and a lot of people (many Dane fans included) didn't think we could pull it out. Furthermore, with the fact that if you win the conference, you get an automatic bid to the NIT's, every game counts. And also, the last thing you want is to make the tournament and then have to play the PIG game because you didn't get the job done during the season.

And also, the last thing you want is to make the tournament and then have to play the PIG game because you didn't get the job done during the season.

I know what you mean here (and I agree with the every game counts part), but I stop reading after any sentence starts with "the last thing you want is to make the tournament."

There are plenty "last things I want" before that! If we take the tourney, it's a SUCCESS in my book..whether we're the 13 seed or in the PIG.

You're playing on my words - you even acknowledged you understood what I meant. Who would IDEALLY want to make the tournament and have to play the PIG game, when if they TOOK care of business during the season, they wouldn't be in those shoes. No one is saying that the PIG is a horrible accomplishment, but the PIG is a result for the most part of a team not taking care of what was necessary. If you control your own destiny, who would want to play the PIG?

We are building a program here, and a respectable one at that. Hopefully one day, making the tournament will not be sufficient enough, and going deep into the tournament will be considered as successful at the minimum.

As a program which has gone to the NCAA's 2 consecutive times, and positioned ourselves to again, both this year and for years to come earn that right, we have to stop treating the NCAA's as a miracle, and more of a plausible goal when every season begins. Personally, if we don't make the NCAA's this year, I will view the season in a negative light - because of blown opportunities. I understand we are young, but this league is wide open. Many other teams (with the exception maybe of UVM .. who we actually have beaten twice) have had their hands full with similar situations regarding JuCo's and freshman players. So while it is an excuse which has some substance, every team has had to deal with it on some level.

In order to understand what I'm talking about, look no further than Wichita St. They were a cinderella/off the radar team and have serious done damage in the NCAA's and have become more of a household name. If we want to be a top program, at least in the North East, we need to act like one. Mediocrity is not something we should settle for. And while in a "rebuilding"/"retooling" year, we may not make the tournament, this team was picked by the coaches in our league, who probably know more than us, to finish 1st (if im correct).

If we are picked to be the favorite in the league, and we had a good nucleus and good incoming talent, it is not farfetched to think we should win the conference. There was/is NO juggernaut looming. Even UMBC can be beaten.

Haha, whoa..no need to get bent outta shape on that one. I was just pointing out that when "the last thing you want" is said, there are actually A LOT of "last things you want" BELOW making the tourney and ending up in the PIG...which I know you realize as you changed it to "IDEALLY."

I just happen to enjoy the successes that Coach Brown, his staff, and his players have brought to this program. No need to put the cart before the horse.

I think if you asked Coach Brown he wants to win every game.

He told us a few years ago that he wanted to build a program that would compete for a conference title every year. I would assume we're just about there.

Now it's time to work on being competitive and being able to win an NCAA game when we get there again.

We also must remember that we are still in our infancy and have had only two winning seasons. Our expectations may have grown more rapidly then our talent base and that just shows how far we've come.

Three or four years ago we were snickered at and most opposing fans had us circled as a sure win on there preseason schedule.

I know that personally I think I've set the expectations to hight. As great as the UVM win was and applauded by all here, I personally have to be a bit more even keel. I would like to see a bit more consistency from game to game but if we don't make it to the NCAA's I won't be despondent. Remember, major contributers on this team (Brent, Jon and Brian) were recruited before we even had a winning season. Are we a work in progress? Most certainly. But we if somehow manage to put it all together I like our chances, especially if Timmy continues his progress, Brian keeps doing what he's doing and if we could get Brent out of his funk.

Archived