UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UNC-Charlotte to add football

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...fn&brthrs=1

Program to get going in 2013 with a probable jump to FBS in 2017. Not sure how this will effect us, if at all.

With a planned increase to FBS before they even step foot on the field, its hard to see what incentive the CAA has to invite them as an affiliate member.

I would see them playing Indy FCS or joining a league like the Big South for a few years.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...fn&brthrs=1

Program to get going in 2013 with a probable jump to FBS in 2017. Not sure how this will effect us, if at all.

With a planned increase to FBS before they even step foot on the field, its hard to see what incentive the CAA has to invite them as an affiliate member.

I would see them playing Indy FCS or joining a league like the Big South for a few years.

Thanks for the post danefan.

UNCC isn't that much different from us. They are overshadowed by UNC and NC State. They are North Carolina's 21st D1 football program. Their population at 22k is close to our 18k... I gotta hope some how this helps UA. Someone will eventually say, why not us? I'm holding out hope for one of these options:

1) An invite to the CAA to balance Georgia State and UNCC

2) Move to the MAC... maybe to back fill Buffalo if they ever move up?

3) The start of a new Northeast FCS or FBS conference? It sould probably be FCS, if anything.

All I know is we need out of the NEC and into full FCS or FBS ball.

It looks like UNC Charlotte has a field with stands that seat 4k capacity.

http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/view.gal?id=31225

I guess they know what they want, seeing that they have NO football right now, but want to be in FBS in 2017.

I wonder how supportive their state is when considering NC State school athletic funding? They'll need to start planning a 20k seat stadium now for that to happen.

Sounds like they need to apply. I assume they will be permitted to enter FCS unconditionally.

How about entering FBS? What's the application and acceptance guidelines there?

Sounds like they need to apply. I assume they will be permitted to enter FCS unconditionally.

How about entering FBS? What's the application and acceptance guidelines there?

They have to average 15,000 per game attendance, give up access to the FCS playoffs as they build up scholarships to at least 77 for football and about 200 for the entire department, have at least 16 sports (only 14 for FCS), and probably other compliance issues. And there's a moratorium on starting the process until 2012 anyway.

They could use the Panthers' stadium if they had to.

Archived