UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stony Brook @ UA

Instead of potentially talking out of my a**, I took the time to run some numbers.

In the last five W’s…..

Tony’s #’s - 15.2ppg, 5.8rpg, 2ast, 2.7TO’s shooting 42% from the field

In the last five L’s….

Tony’s #’s – 6.8ppg, 2.8rpg, 2.2ast, 3.4TO’s, shooting 29% from the field

In the last five W’s…..

Timmy’s #’s – 12.4ppg, 7rpg, 2.8ast, 3TO’s, shooting 41% from the field

In the last five L’s…..

Timmy’s #’s – 7.2ppg, 3.2prg, 3ast, 1.7TO’s, shooting 30% from the field

In the five losses, Tony’s ppg drop dramatically (by 8.4ppg), as do the rpg….the TO’s go significantly up and the FG% is down 13%

In the five losses Timmy’s ppg also drop (by 5.2ppg) as do the rpg but in the losses the TO’s also go way down while Tony’s go up and FG% went down 11%.

The number one priority of a PG is to take care of the ball….Tony has never been great at keeping the TO’s down because he isn’t really a true PG he is more of a scoring lead guard but when he turns it over as a primary ball handler and cannot get the team into their sets the whole team struggles. He obviously has no trouble breaking the press and bringing the ball up but at this early stage in his collegiate career he obviously needs to work on his decisions making on the court, jumping into the air to pass is not a smart way to get an assist. I don’t think anyone can deny that Tony handles the ball more than anyone else when he is in the game.

I understand that he is only a freshman and an excellent one at that. His decision making will improve as the season and his career goes on. I don’t want my post to be viewed as a slam on Tony, as I really like his game allot and like many of us said over the summer and even this season there will be some growing pains; especially with a freshman handling the ball as much as he has been. If he doesn’t do it, who’s gonna get the team into their sets? I disagree with the assertion that the only one who can generate his own offense is Timmy, Tony didn’t have that much trouble creating offense in games against UVM and BUNY (22 and 21ppg), but when he doesn’t score and turns it over the whole team struggles.

He is much more important to the success of this team then some care to admit....I agree with Patch, it's difficult for us to win if two of the big three are not playing well.

We have a great foundation in the back court with Tim and Tony for years to come, but there will be growing pains.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bosi, lets leave it at........

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

If my memory serves me correctly when Will and Timmy are playing well Anthony thrives later in the game because space and seams are created because teams are concentration on Will and Timmy thats when Anthony can be at his best.

Anthony's assist turnover ratio is so poor that UA can't even rely on our PG to make plays for the players around him. He never makes an entry pass. PG have to bring it every game and make those around them better.

It's kind of ridiculous to have a PG with only 36 assists this late in the season. Anthony is a talent but his Basketball IQ is poor at this point of his collegiate career. Jamar Wilson playing as a 2g (Earv Oopong was the PG had 109 assists) as a freshman had 90 assists.

Just a differing point of view.

Patch,

Sitting there watching today's game (even though I arrived late) I gotta say, you might be more on the right path regarding Tim and Tony then I originally gave you credit for.

It was great to see Tony with NO To's today (per ESPN box score).

bosi, if you keep calling Raffa 'Tony' we won't be able to call them TWA any more. They'd be TWT which wouldn't work as well.

Patch,

Sitting there watching today's game (even though I arrived late) I gotta say, you might be more on the right path regarding Tim and Tony then I originally gave you credit for.

It was great to see Tony with NO To's today (per ESPN box score).

bosi, if you keep calling Raffa 'Tony' we won't be able to call them TWA any more. They'd be TWT which wouldn't work as well.

I thought it was acceptable to call someone named Anthony, Tony...is this not accurate. Although I do see your point, TWT just doesn't work. I'll go back to Anthony!

Archived