UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Fordham threatening to leave the Patriot League

Post from Fordhamfans.com

Fordham has told the PL we want scholarships instituted leaguewide by June 09 .. If the PL balks we are prepared and going independent for 2010 season. then find a new home for 2011 and beyond. this is not hearsay, the FU Head Coach and the administration has sat down with PL commissioner Carol Femovich.. Colgate is on the record as a supporter of scholly's.. rest of schools on on fence. Masella (HC)and Fordham grid alumni like the schools in the PL.. but 1aa football is passing the league by.. so we laid down the ultimatium.. and the alumni are in full support of scholly's or out!!

Fordham leaving the PL could be GREAT for us. Gives us another similarly situation school in NY. That will be 3 schools (UA, Fordham and SBU) that could persuade the Northern CAA teams to start a new conference. Could also make the Big South (renamed Big America) a more feasible scenario. You'd have 3 teams in NY.

Post from Fordhamfans.com

Fordham has told the PL we want scholarships instituted leaguewide by June 09 .. If the PL balks we are prepared and going independent for 2010 season. then find a new home for 2011 and beyond. this is not hearsay, the FU Head Coach and the administration has sat down with PL commissioner Carol Femovich.. Colgate is on the record as a supporter of scholly's.. rest of schools on on fence. Masella (HC)and Fordham grid alumni like the schools in the PL.. but 1aa football is passing the league by.. so we laid down the ultimatium.. and the alumni are in full support of scholly's or out!!

Fordham leaving the PL could be GREAT for us. Gives us another similarly situation school in NY. That will be 3 schools (UA, Fordham and SBU) that could persuade the Northern CAA teams to start a new conference. Could also make the Big South (renamed Big America) a more feasible scenario. You'd have 3 teams in NY.

I went over to AGS to read the thread. I'm not sure what it means for us? Certainly it could be the start of good things. I was hoping the three football SUNY Centers would rise up and make this a 5 FBS state. I was also hoping that SUNY would have a monopoly of "big time" college football (excluding Syracuse). I'm a bit concerned that Fordham will drain our recruits and resources. Fordham has lined up UConn and Army? That is amazing. Teams like that bring in fans and supporters. They have a lot more money than we do... although in good times it is possible to get state funds (at least it was for Sunny Buffalo and SBU).

I'm optomistic but also a bit concerned. It starts to hurt my arguement that New York is wide open for college football. It means more competition for viewers, recruits and donations. I agree with your assessment Danefan, if we can get a new league... that means including UA then it is a good thing.

Is Fordham's push for full scholly ball gonna help or hurt Albany? I am not sure. If the PL folds under Fordham's pressure and upgrades, then the NEC is right back where it was 4 years ago(a league that can't compete week in and week out with the PL). If they go indy, it wont help us at all unless we are prepared to go Indy. If they get a new conference created that would be great. The question I have for the UA braintrust is: are you prepared to make the move to full scholarship football (57-63 rides) if the opportunity presents itself??????

We are losing ground to Fordham, SBU, and others if we do not make a move out of the NEC and fast. This move by Fordham actually scares me. If we played Fordham or SBU right now we can compete and beat these two teams. If we do nothing and another two years passes by we will not be able to win with 36 rides vs their 57-63. By the way when Albany, CCSU or Monmouth gets to 36 scholarships they will be equivalent to the top end of D II. Somebody do something.

We have played the best competition available over the last 4 years with decent results. The experiment is over you know what a good coach and staff can do with some resources. We are witnessing the best football players this school has ever been able to get. You can also can see that we just arent capable to play and beat the best consistently with limited amounts of scholarships.

THE EXPERIMENT IS OVER! MOVE UP ALREADY EVEN IF IT MEANS GOING INDY! Put in 15 million and renovate University Field and get on with it!

Is Fordham's push for full scholly ball gonna help or hurt Albany? I am not sure. If the PL folds under Fordham's pressure and upgrades, then the NEC is right back where it was 4 years ago(a league that can't compete week in and week out with the PL). If they go indy, it wont help us at all unless we are prepared to go Indy. If they get a new conference created that would be great. The question I have for the UA braintrust is: are you prepared to make the move to full scholarship football (57-63 rides) if the opportunity presents itself??????

We are losing ground to Fordham, SBU, and others if we do not make a move out of the NEC and fast. This move by Fordham actually scares me. If we played Fordham or SBU right now we can compete and beat these two teams. If we do nothing and another two years passes by we will not be able to win with 36 rides vs their 57-63. By the way when Albany, CCSU or Monmouth gets to 36 scholarships they will be equivalent to the top end of D II. Somebody do something.

We have played the best competition available over the last 4 years with decent results. The experiment is over you know what a good coach and staff can do with some resources. We are witnessing the best football players this school has ever been able to get. You can also can see that we just arent capable to play and beat the best consistently with limited amounts of scholarships.

THE EXPERIMENT IS OVER! MOVE UP ALREADY EVEN IF IT MEANS GOING INDY! Put in 15 million and renovate University Field and get on with it!

AMEN Brother!

We've been hearing about this big college football shake up in 2010 for a long time now.

Objectively,

--What are the chances of a new Northeast FCS full schollie league in 2010?

--What are the chances we'll be full schollie, whether that be independent or in a new league in 2010?

Those in the know with athletics contacts, what are they saying over at the SEFCU or over at the CAA headquarters?

My realistic answers in short:

--What are the chances of a new Northeast FCS full schollie league in 2010? - ZERO.

--What are the chances we'll be full schollie, whether that be independent or in a new league in 2010? ZERO

Those in the know with athletics contacts, what are they saying over at the SEFCU or over at the CAA headquarters?

I haven't heard anything coming out of the Albany camp. No movement whatsoever on ANYTHING - stadium, scholarships, ANYTHING.

Here's another question - What are the chances McElroy will take the easy way out and reup our NEC contract for another 3 years after 2010? I'd say its a 75% chance that will happen.

OK, to expand a little:

There won't be a full scholarship northeastern FCS conference until one of two things happen:

1. The CAA breaks up and the Northern members make a move; or

2. The Big East splits amonst football playing members and the small catholic schools that founded the conference. That will have major shakeups for all northeastern DI schools and may cause a new full-sports conference in the northeast that includes FCS football or it may cause a mid-major FBS conference that Delaware, Villanova and UMass jump into, leaving open the need for URI, UNH, Maine, etc. to find a new conferenec.

I don't see either of these happening within next 5-10 years.

Our only hope at full scholarship football in the short term is Indy or the Big South. There are no other options.

Here's another question - What are the chances McElroy will take the easy way out and reup our NEC contract for another 3 years after 2010? I'd say its a 75% chance that will happen.

The time for this decision is quickly approaching....what UA does in regard to the NEC will speak volumes regarding our long term goals.

The time for this decision is quickly approaching....what UA does in regard to the NEC will speak volumes regarding our long term goals.

Will it ever.

Sign an extension beyond a year-to-year with the NEC and you'll see many donors and alumns jump ship on McElroy real fast and real public.

Archived