UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Coach Brown Blog Entries

I'd like to see him recruit more students from the new york area. - UA'08

We had 5 NY/PA area players in the program this year....

Ambrose - LI

Harris - NYC

McRae - NYC

Watts - Peekskill

Iati - PA/NY (living on LI)

MJ - NYC

I'd like to see him recruit more students from the new york area. - UA'08

We had 5 NY/PA area players in the program this year....

Ambrose - LI

Harris - NYC

McRae - NYC

Watts - Peekskill

Iati - PA/NY (living on LI)

MJ - NYC

You're right that they're 5 guys from NY, but only 2 of them were recruited in NY. The rest were transfers playing for schools away from NY.

When did Iati start living in LI?

You're right that they're 5 guys from NY, but only 2 of them were recruited in NY. The rest were transfers playing for schools away from NY.

I also thought McRae moved to NY when he lost his scholarship so he could pay in-state tuition. I might be wrong though.

I also thought McRae moved to NY when he lost his scholarship sho he could pay in-state tuition. I might be wrong though.

Mcrae is from queens. He went to jc in wyoming.

Iati's family moved to NY around 2 years ago, I think.

All the others on my list are true NYs.

There have always been NY/NJ/PA area players on the roster

Lucious, Jamar, Levi, Ambrose, Connelly (NJ), Bauman (PA), Jon Iati (PA), Yocum (Philly), Martin (Philly), Raffa (NJ), Harris, McRae, MJ, Watts (Peekskill) and Iati (PA/NY).

I think there is a misconception that CB only recruits away from the East. Infact some of our better players have been from NY/NJ/PA

Iati's family moved to NY around 2 years ago, I think.

All the others on my list are true NYs.

There have always been NY/NJ/PA area players on the roster

Lucious, Jamar, Levi, Ambrose, Connelly (NJ), Bauman (PA), Jon Iati (PA), Yocum (Philly), Martin (Philly), Raffa (NJ), Harris, McRae, MJ, Watts (Peekskill) and Iati (PA/NY).

I think there is a misconception that CB only recruits away from the East. Infact some of our better players have been from NY/NJ/PA

I agree, but what I was trying to say was that although mcrae mj and harris are from ny, they did not get recruited while they were playing hs ball in ny. They were recruited while at schools far away from this area. Lucious jordan was from colonie but he transferred to albany from loyola.

I absolutely agree that are best players are from ny nj and pa. That is why I think they should focus in that northeast region instead of the midwest, but I understand how competitive it must be recruiting against the big name schools. The best of the best are from this area, but that's probably cause I'm biased.

UA '08--- I dont get your argument. Do you know HOW MANY NYC kids go away to JUCO; I would say a HUGE pct. Doesnt mean local coaches, including Brown, werent tracking them during their careers.

The bottom line-- these kids are mined from the playgrounds and high schools of the Tri-State area plus PA. They grew up playing ball in those areas and, by virtue of that, it means they got their skills from the vaunted areas we are talking about. It doesnt matter that they were recruited from JUCO-- most juco's dont teach any skill or let a player grow-- they are unorganized (for the most part, there are clearly exceptions to this rule) basketball systems.

So many programs from all over the nation come to recruit NYC kids-- hell, I was recruited by BELOIT...in WISCONSIN. I never even heard of the school until they called. Point is, it 'aint easy for local coaches to keep kids home nowadays...so to be successful as a coach you must adapt; that said, the best player in our history was from NY...and as Patch pointed out, we have had numberous big time players come from NY, NJ, and PA.

One last thing-- it isnt a given now that NY is the place to recruit. With AAU ball, areas like Flint, Little Rock, Memphis, E. St. Louis, parts of Florida, parts of Oregon and Washington and the Carolina's have become hoops hotbeds. Then you have standby's like Atlanta, Oakland, LA, DC, Dallas, Houston and Chicago to add to NYC, Metro NJ, Philly and Washington DC.

Archived