UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Track & Field

New York, N.Y. - Paul Lagno had another record breaking performance in the mile run at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational. Over the two-day event University at Albany men's and women's teams tabbed eight IC4A and four ECAC qualifying marks. The women's 4x200 relay also set a school record (1:41.69) with the legs of Jillian Haynes 25.2, Nyree Richardson 25.7, Kamilah Williams 25.6 and Alli Rogers 24.9.

Lagno ran a 4:01.86 mile to place second and replace his own record set two weeks ago at the Great Dane Classic. Lagno is close to becoming the first Great Dane to break the four minute barrier in the Mile. In the same event, Chris Burke clocked in at 4:11.26. Both times were IC4A qualifiers. Burke competed in the 1,000 meter and placed fourth with the 2:26.04 time, a qualifying mark as well.

Peter Rowell registered two IC4A qualifying marks in the 500 (1:04.89) and 800 (1:52.22) meter events. Alex Leuchanka joined the qualifying pool with his 8:23.35 time in the 3,000 meter event. Ethan Clary tabbed sixth overall with his 14:43.84 time in the 5,000 meter distance. The Great Danes 4x800 meter relay team finished with a time of 7:48.07 to place 11th overall.

With the men's overall performance the team scored 13 points to place 18th along with Oklahoma. There were 27 teams that scored points at the New Balance Invitational.

For the women, Brianne Bellon ran the 1,000 meter in 2:54.18 for an ECAC qualifying nod. UAlbany's 4x400 (3:51.10) and 4x800 (9:06.16) relay teams made the qualifying marks as well. In the field, Pat McNish made a combined total of 39 feet and 1 inch in the triple jump to place fourth overall and register her second ECAC qualifier of the season.

The New Balance Collegiate Invitational featured more than 130 universities and colleges from around the nation and globe. Teams from Ireland, Puerto Rico, France and Canada join an elite group of institutions in the U.S.

The Great Danes will resume competition next weekend in the Armory for the Millrose Games.

Full Results: http://www.armorytrack.com/armory/nbci-sked-2012

Roberto J. Vives

Director of Men's and Women's

Track & Field/Cross Country

University at Albany

518-209-1973 - cell

518-442-2596 - fax

Forgive my stupidity in T&F. Is a sub 4 minute mile much harder to get than the same distance but outdoors?

Just basing that on McFan's comments.

When I ran (20+ years ago) I would estimate the difference in the 4-5 second range. It would be less for somebody at this speed, maybe 3-4 seconds. At this level though every second is very difficult to take off. Much easier to go from 4:15 to say 4:12 than it is to go from 4:05 to 4:02. The turns being much tighter make it a bit slower each lap. Banked turns help (and I'm not sure this is a banked facility) but still not equivalant to outdoors. This may also have been a full 200 meter facility which is/was rare which would make provide less of a negative on the turns. Many are 180 meters (or less). I ran on the Union track which I think was around 160 meters and had four turns. Yes four turns and four straights, all very straight.

In the end if he was on a 200 meter banked track I would guess the difference down to maybe 2-3 seconds. Now outdoors the eliments come into play. But given good conditions outdoors, this is a sub 4 mile.

Archived