UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Privatization at UCLA and Virginia

Michigan_Dane

I heard on NPR that UCLA's business school would like to stop taking state funding. The state of California contributes a lousy 6% of their budget. With that 6% comes a laundry list of bureaucracy. Is it worth it?

UCLA Anderson School of Business MBA is $48k.. It would mean only a small tuition increase but a ton of flexibity. The state isn't funding anyway so why not? Virginia has already done so and their both amazing schools.

Edited by SoCal_Dane

You have to ask if the word "state" should even be in the university name when the government is contributing a lousy 6% or 13%. There are other funding sources greater than the state’s 13% (87% more to be exact). Replace “state” with that source. I bet corporate funding is higher when you add in Global Foundries, IBM with traditional sources for grants such as Howard Hughes International, Carnegie Foundation etc. With some jest I propose “Corporate University of New York”. Why not if they are indeed giving more? Reflect reality.

Private schools like Siena receive Pell Grants and other government funding and yet they are not a "state" university nor do they have to comply with all of their bureaucracy.

It feels like the university is just being hobbled. It can grow with adequate state funding. It can grow as a private university. It cannot grow as a 13% funded university.

This standoff between the left that wants full funding regardless of actual budget realities and the state that cannot afford it is killing UA.

All I can say is that I'm glad I went to a state school regardless of the % the state puts towards the funding as I have 80% less loans than those from private schools. Personally not a fan of private schools taking public money (Bundy Aid) and not having to be accountable for it (secondary schools ie: charters or private colleges). You'd think the public would want to know where their money was going.

Edited by MsGDG

All I can say is that I'm glad I went to a state school regardless of the % the state puts towards the funding as I have 80% less loans than those from private schools. Personally not a fan of private schools taking public money (Bundy Aid) and not having to be accountable for it (secondary schools ie: charters or private colleges). You'd think the public would want to know where their money was going.

If NYS taxpayers actually paid attention to how much of their money went to Cornell they'd be less concerned with our tiny 8,000 seat football stadium.

Edited by danefan

If NYS taxpayers actually paid attention to how much of their money went to Cornell they'd be less concerned with our tiny 8,000 seat football stadium.

A part of Cornell is a state school (College of Ag & Life Sciences) albeit a small portion. In addition in the budget this year they passed new language to allow Cornell (private part) to bypass OSC approval, however the legality of that is in limbo now....

Cornell has 4 statutory schools which take up a major portion of the Cornell Campus holdings and 7000+ of Cornell's total enrollment. Thus why the Ivy's deride it as SUNY-Ithaca.

You don't see much crowing about Cornell because of what those statutory units offer: entry to an Ivy League education for public-level tuition. My sister earned her BS in the Ag school, took some very challenging courses, and came out with less debt than the typical Ivy Leaguer. It's funded so well and produces great grads that it seems no one complains about the private-school control. We could guess if striping Land-Grant status would be great for the SUNY Centers, but it would likely lead to little change. SUNY would just let the 4 schools run themselves, never attaching them to one or more Centers. They already do that with the non-Center doctoral institutions.

A member of UB's Council asked about the option of UB going private at a meeting during the UB2020 bill brew-haha. It didn't go anywhere among other council-members.

Edited by UBBulls