UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What the UAlbany MBB Team needs is already on Campus....

Instead of waiting for Dwayne Killings develop his game time coaching skills and bring maturity to his coaching staff, there may be a solution already on campus.  My thought: Allow the MBB program borrow from the WBB program a person who possesses the maturity and game time coaching skills currently lacking with the men's program; allow Gina Castelli to join the MBB coaching staff for the balance of the OCC schedule.  Her resume is below:

A summer 2021 hire, Gina Castelli is the Executive Coach for Program Development and Pleyer Relations. In this unique, administrative position, Castelli will be able to utilize her expertise in leadership, mentorship, and management. Her perspective and insight will help the student-athletes win on and off the court, help the coaches and staff develop, and contribute tremedously to the Great Danes' championship culture.

Castelli returns to the Capital Region following an eight-year stint at Le Moyne College.  She led the Dolphins to six winning seasons, including a career program-best 26 victories during the 2018-19 season.  That same season the Dolphins won the NE-10 title for the first time in program history, defeating Bentley in the conference championship game.  Castelli next led her team to the first two NCAA Tournament victories in program history, advancing to the East Regional Championship.

Before arriving at Le Moyne, Castelli spent 22 seasons as the head coach of Siena, accumulating a program-high 336 victories.  With the Saints, Castelli was named MAAC Coach of the Year five times and led Siena to seven MAAC regular-season championships and one MAAC Tournament title.

Castelli coached 39 All-Conference players at Siena, including seven Players of the Year and four Rookies of the Year.  She also boasted a 100% graduation rate among her student-athletes.

Castelli also has stops at the University of Rhode Island and Marquette University in her career. 

She graduated Canisius College in 1986 with a degree in Physical Education and Athletic Training.

Yes, this is outside the box however; the MBB program needs out-of-the box thinking.  Gina arrival with the WBB program has in part, led to its resurgence. 

• 3 months later...

I bring this topic up once again because another local college realize their basketball program need something and that something had been part of their past.  Many times, two good minds can come together and improve a situation.  St. Rose is betting on that in bring back Brian back as associate head coach.

As Killings has stated "The interests of our team, players, families, program and community always comes first to me" (Times Union March 21, 2023).  He needs to start demonstrating this immediately by hiring a mature and seasoned associate head coach.  Killings needs to understand "Asking for help is not giving up.  It is refusing to give up".  I must give credit to the British author Charlie Mackey and his 2023 Oscar winning animated short movie for the line.

SAINT ROSE MEN’S BASKETBALL

Beaury returns to St. Rose’s staff

Hall of Famer who led Knights to 643 wins now associate head coach

By Abigail Rubel

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F03%2F21&id=Pc0061000&ext=.jpg&ts=20230321061743
John Carl D'Annibale / Times Union archive

Brian Beaury, who won 643 games over more than 30 seasons as head coach of the College of Saint Rose men’s basketball team before retiring in 2018, is returning to the Golden Knights as an associate head coach for his former assistant, now-head coach Mike Perno.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F03%2F21&id=Pc0061100&ext=.jpg&ts=20230321061743
Lori Van Buren / Times Union

ALBANY — Brian Beaury, who spent more than 30 seasons coaching the Saint Rose men’s basketball team before retiring in 2018, has rejoined the team as associate head coach.

“I knew on my student visit in 1978 that Saint Rose was where I belonged. As men’s basketball coach, it was an honor to play a small role in the growth and development of the College and basketball program and watch our student-athletes thrive on and off the court while they were here and as alums,” Beaury, a Saint Rose alumnus, said in a news release announcing his hire. “I’m excited and humbled to take on this role and look forward to hitting the ground running.”

Beaury was the ninth Division II head coach to reach 600 wins.

He had a 643-226 record in 32 years with the Golden Knights before retiring due to medical issues.

He is a member of the New York State Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame and the New York Capital Region Basketball Hall of Fame.

Beaury left the team in the hands of former assistant Mike Perno.

“Coach has meant so much to me personally, and I know he has meant so much to the college for the program he was able to build,” Perno said. “It is not every day you have the chance to add a Hall of Fame coach who is respected at such a high level to help get this program back to where we need to be.”

Led by Schalmont graduate Shane O’Dell (16.3 points, 6.9 rebounds per game), the Golden Knights went 9-20 overall, 3-17 in Northeast-10 Conference play this season, losing to Southern Connecticut State in the first round of the NE10 Tournament. O’Dell, as well as forward Josh McGettigan (13.9 ppg) and forward Eric Fleming

(11.9 ppg), entered the transfer portal.

Beaury will assist with on-court instruction and game day preparation, as well as recruiting, scheduling and player personnel and development efforts.

“Coach has meant so much to me personally, and I know he has meant so much to the college for the program he was able to build. It is not every day you have the chance to add a Hall of Fame coach who is respected at such a high level to help get this program back to where we need to be.”
Mike Perno, St. Rose men’s basketball coach

▶› Abigail.Rubel@- timesunion.com A @abigail_rubel