UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Newsday article that makes me want to vomit (STADIUM)

BOZEMAN, Mont. -- Surveying 17,777-seat Bobcat Stadium and the beautiful snow-capped mountain backdrop before Stony Brook's 16-10 loss to host Montana State in an FCS second-round playoff game Saturday night, Seawolves athletic director Jim Fiore couldn't help but gush about the setting.

"This could be a model for us," Fiore said of the home team's stadium, which has a bowl at one end, a large bleacher section across from the press box side and a modern digital scoreboard in the open end.

Right now, SBU's LaValle Stadium has a capacity of 8,000 seats. State funds allocated for stadium expansion remain frozen, but as Stony Brook moves to the Colonial Athletic Association in football next season and perhaps develops into a candidate to move from the Football Championship Subdivision up to the Football Bowl Subdivision in the future, the need for a larger stadium will be paramount.

The student section at the west end of LaValle Stadium sits atop locker room facilities and coaches' offices and easily could be closed off to form a bowl at that end connecting the grandstands on both sides. Filling such a stadium remains a challenge on Long Island, but continued success by coach Chuck Priore's team could drive attendance.

Certainly, Stony Brook went into its second-round game facing a significant home-field advantage for the Bobcats, who had sold more than 15,000 seats before kickoff and expected a walk-up sale to push it past 16,000. As results of earlier FCS playoff games showed, home-field teams tend to dominate. In the day's first six games, Appalachian Statewas the only home team to fall when a missed extra point in overtime led to a one-point loss to Eastern Illinois.

Priore did his best to downplay the problems of playing more than 2,000 miles from home in the playoffs. "It is what it is," he said. "The part that should not be a factor in the game is the travel part. You're on a plane for 4½ hours. You can't get over the George Washington Bridge in 4½ hours from [stony Brook].

"Playing away from home is an issue at every level of football, but you can't allow 'home-field advantage' to be in your way."

At least, the Seawolves got a break with unusually warm weather for December in Montana. The temperature an hour before game time was a mild 50 degrees. However, winds gusting from 24 to 28 miles per hour from the southwest figured to affect passing and kicking.

good g-d do I hate that school

I agree. Newsday is making me ill. They have taken the approach to openly cheer lead for SBU regardless of the merit. Meanwhile, the TU has taken the opposite tactic... to openly cheer lead against Albany regardless of merit.

Objectively Albany and SBU are on the same level. Both won their own football conferences this year. Both have had success in other sports. SBU most notably in baseball. Albany's track program is fantastic but has had success in basketball with 2 NCAA appearances. Women's volleyball and field hockey have also done very well. My point is that objectively speaking I would say the two schools are about even. I would even argue that Albany has been more successful but it's not the point.

SO how can it be that Newsday thinks SBU is fantastic and ready for a Big 10 invite and the TU thinks Albany is a pee wee program?

The facts speak for themselves. NO significant difference between these two northeast AE schools. Either both are amazing or both are pee wee programs. I would argue that the truth is in the middle.

I will only concede that Albany's big shortfall to SBU is government and newspaper support (LaValle and Newsday vs Nobody and the TU). That is the only real difference.

I have to admit that I'm happy that SBU lost to the Bobcats yesterday. I would love to see SUNY get some attention but if it means Newsday and SBU supporters comparing themselves to Ohio State and throwing the other SUNY Centers under the bus then I'll pass.

On a side note, since SBU has more tax payer money set aside for their stadium, I hope Albany is already lobbying for expansion funds. It's an arms race and we need to keep but with the dark side. Start the legislative conversations early to get those funds.

Stadium question of the night.....and the only thing that really matters to me.......

Which stadium will Stony Brook lose to us in next year?

We'll have to wait for the CAA schedule to come out to find out!

Edited by danefan

Stadium question of the night.....and the only thing that really matters to me.......

Darn good question df... CAA schedules usually come out in the Spring?

Let me say that again, CAA SCHEDULES usually come out in the Spring?

That was a beautiful ring to it!

Edited by uofalbany

Darn good question df... CAA schedules usually come out in the Spring?

Let me say that again, CAA SCHEDULES usually come out in the Spring?

That was a beautiful ring to it!

CAA schedules have varied in recent years because there has always been some questions as to who was even going to be in the league from year to year.

I think that is still the case with the potential implosion of the SoCon and defections to the CAA, but barring that, the CAA schedule should be done in the winter. I've seen them as early as February.

Indeed. I am looking forward to the schedule as well to see which new road trips I'll be going on as well as who is here. hope SBU is one of the home games.