UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Danes of Greatness - NIL Collective

On 9/11/2024 at 4:53 PM, godanesgo99 said:

The message is clear though. If we want to compete, we need to support GDAC and the NIL programs, or we should move to D2 or D3. We won't be able to compete on this new world without it.

While I agree with you 100%, that we need to support GDAC; but IMHO and a lot of others, if you read what experts are saying NIL and collectives are not the answer and already a dying entity. Look at 09 and issues at BIG 10 Iowa. I linked an article from "Inside Lacrosse" {see lacrosse section on this blog} where they clearly indicated that other than the top of the the top NIL & collectives will ultimately have NO effect on college athletics overall. From what I read, after the fallout of the ncaa " House" settlement, nil &  collectives, will exist ONLY at the highest levels and ONLY in the money sports; and even at those levels, in rare instances will athletes actually be "paid" much more if anything more than equivalent full scholarships.

ps Also, if the recent nil gathering was for information and educating the public; why charge a $50 admission?????

Edited by dslyank

20 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

In my mind, the entire point of high end college athletics is to build brand recognition for colleges.

IMHO you are way off base on this. Granted college athletics helps build brand recognition; but it is only of MINUSCULE importance in the greater scheme of things. Stanford will alway be Stanford and the IVY leagues are not what they are because of athletics {and IMHO so are most Universities.} I would venture pretty nearly everyone on this blog is/was successful in life and business and college by what they put into it, not so much by where they went to school. Millions & millions of people in this country get degrees from non power 5 or now 4 conferences, are successful and perfectly happy with their existences. Why even millions more are successful and happy and never went to college.

So IMHO GO BabsonU, DII, DIII and all DI Universities and Colleges and trade schools that prefer NOT to be Minor League Professional Sports Franchises.

• Like 1

I made this post in the AE forum, responding in a conversation on NIL, but I thought I would throw it out here as a conversation piece.....

Not sure if I read it in this thread or another one, but there is a school that is adding a NIL surcharge for each ticket sold to help fund their NIL.

Wouldn't it be easy to do that as as an AE team? Even if it is on a much lower scale? Quite simply, say $2 per ticket sold. If a team averaged 2500 tickets sold, that's $5000 per game raised. There are 200 minutes of playing time available in a game. You could then pay the players $25/minute played. If the team was great and they averaged more fans per game their payout would rise. If they sucked and seats are empty, they get paid less. Better players would make more because they play more. I don't think a $2/ticket surcharge would affect ticket sales at all.

Maybe pay 80% of it out to reserve some money for administration and to help cover overtime games, or guaranteed payouts for the best players if they get injured. Something like this feels like it would be easy to do.

Edited by godanesgo99

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I made this post in the AE forum, responding in a conversation on NIL, but I thought I would throw it out here as a conversation piece.....

Not sure if I read it in this thread or another one, but there is a school that is adding a NIL surcharge for each ticket sold to help fund their NIL.

Wouldn't it be easy to do that as as an AE team? Even if it is on a much lower scale? Quite simply, say $2 per ticket sold. If a team averaged 2500 tickets sold, that's $5000 per game raised. There are 200 minutes of playing time available in a game. You could then pay the players $25/minute played. If the team was great and they averaged more fans per game their payout would rise. If they sucked and seats are empty, they get paid less. Better players would make more because they play more. I don't think a $2/ticket surcharge would affect ticket sales at all.

Maybe pay 80% of it out to reserve some money for administration and to help cover overtime games, or guaranteed payouts for the best players if they get injured. Something like this feels like it would be easy to do.

My question: Is this applicable to both season ticket holders and "game-day" ticket purchasers?  From the manner which you wrote your comments, I would say yes.

For me this would be a showstopper.  Double dipping at its worst, expecting a season ticket to pay monies towards GDAC and the NIL is a horrible suggestion.

Recently, I addressed an email to Nate Mason and Vic Cegles concerning the lack of appreciation shown to GDAC contributors in the amounts under $1000 and have contributed just under a $1000 over several years.  While I have spoken to Nate, he has failed to address this concern.  Do not worry, Vic has not bothered to respond at all.

So, if you are looking for NIL money, my wallet will not open up for this suggestion, unless there are changes in how GDAC shows appreciation for donations.

Further, I am of the opinion that having a NIL will not lead to better players and a better team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

My question: Is this applicable to both season ticket holders and "game-day" ticket purchasers?  From the manner which you wrote your comments, I would say yes.

For me this would be a showstopper.  Double dipping at its worst, expecting a season ticket to pay monies towards GDAC and the NIL is a horrible suggestion.

Recently, I addressed an email to Nate Mason and Vic Cegles concerning the lack of appreciation shown to GDAC contributors in the amounts under $1000 and have contributed just under a $1000 over several years.  While I have spoken to Nate, he has failed to address this concern.  Do not worry, Vic has not bothered to respond at all.

So, if you are looking for NIL money, my wallet will not open up for this suggestion, unless there are changes in how GDAC shows appreciation for donations.

Further, I am of the opinion that having a NIL will not lead to better players and a better team. 

I wasn't really suggesting the school does it, it was more of a shower thought this morning and something to spur some conversation as a way to build some additional NIL funds to be able to compete. 

I will say this, there are what 15 or 16 home games a year? If $30-$32 a seat makes that much a difference to you, then we may have bigger issues. It costs $20 to go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac meal for 1 these days. Thirty bucks is nothing. The cheapest seats for Syracuse games are more expensive then the most expensive UA tickets. No we aren't Cuse, but I think we do want to become a regular tournament team, and aspire to bigger levels. If we don't - then lets just leave D1. 

Edited by godanesgo99

17 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I wasn't really suggesting the school does it, it was more of a shower thought this morning and something to spur some conversation as a way to build some additional NIL funds to be able to compete. 

I will say this, there are what 15 or 16 home games a year? If $30-$32 a seat makes that much a difference to you, then we may have bigger issues. It costs $20 to go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac meal for 1 these days. Thirty bucks is nothing. The cheapest seats for Syracuse games are more expensive then the most expensive UA tickets. No we aren't Cuse, but I think we do want to become a regular tournament team, and aspire to bigger levels. If we don't - then lets just leave D1. 

18 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I reflected on your earlier comments and my initial response, as I recall from the announcement for the Danes of Greatness NIL ("NIL"). the NIL will operate and raise funds independently of the UAlbany Athletic Department.  Yes, the NIL has the support of the Athletic Director, MBB Coach and others associated with the University, however, the university and/or its athletic department will only provide indirect support for the NIL fund raising.

In addition, my concerns were about the lack of appreciation from GDAC, perhaps the NIL will do a better job than the UAlbany Athletic Department....only time will tell.

Lastly, thank you for sharing the cost of eating at McDonalds and what McDonalds has to do with the topic at hand, only you would know.  I have been donating to GDAC longer (12+ years) than the last time I had food at McDonalds, which has included my Gold seat donation for football and other donations via March madness, MBB and MLAX. 

Before I forget going to see an ACC MBB team vs. an America East MBB team.  I hope the ACC MBB ticket cheapest ticket costs more....

Edited by cwdickens
update & clarification

NOT a nickel or 5ç 🤑. for NIL. Happy to pay more for tickets and/or GDAC and or the UA Foundation; as long as the money goes to scholarships but NOT direct pay to athletes. There are over 600 student athletes at UA, most on partial scholarship or no schollie at all. Why pay a few while so many compete just to get an education and for the love of their sport.

NO NIL--NO NIL-NO NIL.................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Thanks 2

Congrats to all of you. No McDonalds? Not sure I couldn't survive without my Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit! Not gonna support GDAC or NIL? Thanks for letting us know. It's an important thing to share. 12+ while years? Wow. I'm impressed. 

This feels like those message board / group posts announcing you are leaving the group. You do you.

This is the type of new donor and new money that the Danes of Greatness needs to focus on.....

Weitsman pledges $100,000 to Saints BY MARK SINGELAIS

Siena coach Gerry McNamara, shown during his team’s practice on Monday, has received a $100,000 commitment from former Syracuse booster Adam Weitsman, his friend.

Weitsman said: “I’m definitely going to try to support my friends any way I can.” Former Syracuse athletics booster Adam Weitsman said in April he was willing to donate to Siena men’s basketball to help new coach Gerry McNamara, his good friend. Weitsman is putting his considerable wealth where his mouth is. Weitsman, whose recycling company includes a location at the Port of Albany, said Thursday he is giving $100,000 to Siena men’s basketball. Weitsman said he gave the commitment to McNamara, the former Syracuse playing great and assistant coach.

Weitsman said Siena will tell him where money is to be sent. Siena started an Excellence Fund for men’s basketball this season. There’s also a schoolendorsed name, image and likeness collective called Saints March On, founded last year. “Gerry and I have been friends for a long time,” Weitsman said. “I respect Gerry a lot and I want to help him with his new job up there. And also we are connected to Albany because our business is at the Port of Albany, so we do feel connected to the area there, for sure.” While the money is earmarked for men’s basketball, Weitsman said he put no other guidelines on how Siena spends it.

“It’s whatever they feel is the best way to do it, with their compliance department and the coach,” he said. Weitsman, 56, said he plans to attend Siena’s regular-season opener Nov. 4 against Brown at MVP Arena. Weitsman indicated the $100,000 could be just the first of continuing donations to Siena. “I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be,” he said. “I’m definitely going to try to support my friends any way I can.” Weitsman cut ties with Syracuse last year.

Also buoyed by McNamara’s hiring, Saints March On co-founder Frank Ambrose said his collective is doubling their fundraising goal for this season. Ambrose said Saints March On raised more than $100,000 last year. “We’re going to try to push that to 250 (thousand) this year,” Ambrose said. “I’m fine with communicating that. … We feel like with Gerry there, the excitement behind things (and) other opportunities because we’re trying to work collectively to generate revenues through events now as opposed to just individual donations.” Saints March On is holding a golf tournament fundraiser on Saturday at Saratoga Golf and Polo Club featuring McNamara and new women’s basketball coach Terry Primm.

Registration is available on the collective’s relaunched website, saintsmarchon.org. Ambrose said Saints March On is making it easier for individuals to make tax-deductible donations by having Siena athletes earn their NIL money by making public appearances on behalf of local charities. Saints March On is partnering this year with NIL Empire, a company founded by Siena graduate Jeremiah Maher with the stated goal of helping “athletes to secure branding partnerships.” Ambrose said the collective is still deciding which charities will benefit.

Saints March On has signed five Siena men’s basketball players, all newcomers: redshirt freshman guard Reid Ducharme, a Xavier transfer; junior guard Major Freeman, a junior college transfer; junior guard Justice Shoats, a Lock Haven transfer; freshman forward Tajae Jones and freshman guard Gavin Doty. Ducharme, Freeman, Shoats and redshirt sophomore center Pete Carey will all have use of a Lia dealership automobile, according to Ambrose, who said the players will pay a “nominal” monthly rental fee.

Siena women’s basketball players Anajah Brown, Ahniysha Jackson, Valencia Fontenelle-Posson and Alden Yergey also have Saints March On deals. Ambrose said the collective also found NIL opportunities for forward Teresa Seppala when the team made its summer trip to Ireland. Foreign players are generally prohibited from receiving NIL money while they’re in the United States because of immigration laws.

Ambrose stressed that all Saints March On athletes sign contracts. He referred to the national news made this week by UNLV quarterback Matthew Sluka, who left the program amid disagreement over whether UNLV had offered him NIL inducements that were never delivered. “We coordinate with the (basketball) staff and have conversations internally to make sure everything is synced up properly and that the value of those contracts is kind of reflective of what the message is the coach wants to give internally,” Ambrose said. “Obviously, the top players are going to get the top money.” Before Weitsman announced his $100,000 donation to Siena men’s basketball, Ambrose said Syracuse fans have shown interest in giving to Saints March On to support McNamara."