UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Jimmy Covington

Chicago Morgan Park's Jimmy Covington Verbals To Division I Albany (New York)

Brian Stinnette

December 20, 2004

Email Questions/Comments To brian@chicagohoops.com

Chicago Morgan Park's Jimmy Covington has given a verbal commitment to play basketball next year for Division I Albany (New York). Covington ranks as one of the top post prospects in the Illinois Class of 2005.

Covington, a 6-6 post, is known for his ability to bang inside. Covington never shys away from contact. He is a big time banger and rebounder.

Covington played on the summer basketball circuit with Larry Butler's Illinois Warriors. He joins Julian Wright (Kansas), Phillip Perry (Wisconsin), Josh Tabb (Southern Illinois), Justin Dentmon (Washington), Jamar Smith (Illinois) and Billy Parrish (Eastern Illinois) as a Division I commit from the 2004 Warriors.

Couple of posts from the Chicagohoops boards:

The Real Brain Dead

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:00 pm Post subject: Jimmy Covington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations on being yet another local kid who does not have to pay for college! I do wonder if anyone knows why he commited so early? I thought he would at least go Mid-Major. Does he have family out there? Either way this is a great get for Albany.

chi town

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Covington is an absolute beast!! Albany got a steal! What's up Chicago schools? How did ya miss this one???

Hopefully I'm not contributing to the hype which we are being accused of over on the AE Board. This looks like a great recruiting job and that the staff really got who they wanted. Last year they brought in two players, Lillis and Brent Wilson, from one of the top AAU teams in the country and have done the same thing this year with Covington. To bring in this quality of recruits on a consistent basis is something we could have only dreamed about a few years ago.

I don't know too much about the Chicago hoops site but they had Covington listed as one of the top post prospects in Illinois. Earlier this summer they had said he was one of the most physical players in the state.

The key word is "The Professor"

As soon as the beloved "Prof" puts his name on a post on the AE board all sorts of people go ballistic!!!!!!!

I love it!!!!

I can't wait for the next time he says some other schools recruit is DII.

Of course everything he says now taints anything posted by other Dane posters.

But I love reading the strings he starts.

Chicago Hoops Class of 2005 Top Post Prospects

1. Clarence Holloway 7-0 Center Chicago Harlan

Healthy and looking like a future dominant force.

2. Jeremiah Bryant 6-7 Power Forward Chicago Harlan

Working out while waiting to get back on the court.

3. DeAndre Thomas 6-7 Power Forward Chicago Westinghouse

Space-eater deluxe inside.

4. Mike Davis 6-7 Power Forward Chicago Gordon Tech

Could develop into more of a combination forward.

5. Jimmy Covington 6-6 Power Forward Chicago Morgan Park

Loves to bang inside.

6. Patrick Nelson 6-9 Center Rockford Jefferson

Nice size. Strong build. Still developing his skills.

7. Marquis Young 6-9 Center Chicago Austin

Nice size. Not afraid of contact.

8. Lance Young 6-9 Center Rock Island Alleman

Nice size. Can step out and knock down open jumpers.

9. DeAndre Miranda 6-6 Power Forward Peoria Central

Solid rebounder with developing offensive skills.

10. Aaron Jimenez 6-7 Power Forward Leyden

Can step out and shoot from the perimeter.

This def sounds like a great steal for us. Continues to be an awesome recruiting job.

I know it likely won't happen often, if at all, but imagine all on the same court the board bangers next year with Levi, B. Wilson, and now Convington. Those three will certainly present some aggressive activity on the glass.

I know we have barely got into this year when I have been so excitied for the season, but I'm already just as excited for nexy year as well!

• 4 weeks later...

THORNWOOD 46, MORGAN PARK 36: Lonte Ward scored a game-high 19 points for the Thunderbirds (8-7).

Corey Webb led the Mustangs (4-10) with 11 points. Morgan Park center Jimmy Covington, who committed to Albany over the holidays, scored seven points and grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.

• 2 weeks later...