UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I caught the first hour or so of the scrimmage and I will give a few raw observations - remember I am a FB fan but not a FB evaluator.

Numbers wise the roster is big and from what I could see depth wise we have alot of players who could contribute.

The scrimmage was fast paced with no huddles and we ran alot of stuff out of shot gun sets. Out of the shot gun I observed quite a few poor snaps and overall our handling of the ball in the backfield was poor.

The defense seemed ahead of the offense which I guess early on should be expected.

Offensively we seemed a little slow and out of cync. It appeared we have very good size up front - but i was a little disappointed being that they seemed slow off the ball and we couldn't sustain a solid running game.

It was very hard to judge because players and groups were being shuffled in and out constantly.

QB seems still to be up in the air as no one was truly outstanding and they used 4 consistently. While I was there we did complete 2 long passes for TDs but I'm not sure if they were the result of good offense or poor defense or a combination of both. In order #s 7, 4, 11 and 16 took most of the snaps.

Though I didn't see alot of the kicking game from what I did see our kicking game will again be suspect.

While I was there one reciever was carted off with an apparent shoulder injury and seemed to be in alot of pain while being carted back to the RACC

That's all I have please remember these are raw obsevations from a basic spots fan.

Patch,

Thanks for the post on football.

I can understand some offensive challenges as they transition to passing more - I think that a shotgun makes a lot of sense as it gives the QB more time to read the defense and watch the patterns unfurl. Also, none of the running backs have much experience.

Hope they can pull it together in time for opening game in a few weeks.

On an unrelated note, I went to the Georgia Tech intrasquad scrimmage yesterday. There were about 3k or 4k fans in the stands - mostly parents, friends of the players and some students (the dorms opened yesterday and school starts next week). One of the people behind me was saying that he was surprised there were so few people - I was thinking that the attendance was pretty good especially compared to some of the 1AA games in the northeast (not just the NEC, but A10 / CAA as well).

Very disappointed there is so little talk about football yet there is suppose to be so much interest.

I am also disappointed there has been so little discussion about the intasquad scrimmage.

I guess everyone is getting pumped up for the 1st Volleyball home match.

Actually, I am very pumped about the volleyball opener. I am definitely going to attend, after golf. I don't get too worked up for football until that first game. Homeoming should be great, and I can't wait for Oct. 15th. Basketball is starting, plus a football, VB doubleheader.

Very disappointed there is so little talk about football yet there is suppose to be so much interest.

I am also disappointed there has been so little discussion about the intasquad scrimmage.

I guess everyone is getting pumped up for the 1st Volleyball home match.

9263[/snapback]

Dont you worry...I have had some tech issues w/ the DSL that should be fixed in a week. I will be back with the commentary. Sadly, a friend decided to make his wedding date the same day as the UMASS game. BASTAHD!

BTW....Jason Boltus, my favorite last year because of size, is no longer on the team it seems.

I wonder why he left? It appears the Cali kid is the "real deal" I am also hearing Brett Hall looks fantastic. He is big, great arm, and mobile. I am sure they will rotate the two in the platoon system.

9274[/snapback]

It is the first time I can say this in a long time: HE LEFT PROBABLY BECAUSE OF DEPTH. Think about it. Boncerega and Hall are battling it out. It seems like the Jersey R-SF (or Soph) from Brick Township is getting a huge amount of snaps according to Patch's player description. Then you have the heir apparant in Vinny Esposito. BOLTUS' playing time, if equal to the above players in talent, would have been very, very minute.