UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Kinda funny if true

I'm not sure if any of you have noticed but for the past several years we've had two guys in the Albany student section. Back when the Private Pound was in business one of them used to be the flag guy. They've been in the student section for at least five years, maybe longer.

I've been puzzled because on TV and at the Pepsi Arena for the Siena games I saw the same two guys in the Siena student section. It always seemed weird to me that they would be in both places but I figured maybe they were college basketball fanatics.

Talking to some people in the Hall of Fame room the other night. They told me Siena pays those guys to be in the student section. I haven't heard any conformation of this but it seems kind of funny. I've never heard of a school doing that before.

Well back in my hayday as an undergrad mainly the 02-03 and 03-04 seasons I used personally get the flag from Charlie and the Athletic department for almost every home game. I promise you there is no way I was ever sitting in the Siena section, you can search for my previous posts on how I feel about our friends from Siena. After I graduated there is one student generally in full body paint that I know has been seen with the flag a few times.

On a side note, I was at the Stony Brook game last week and I waited around for Coach Brown to tell him job well done and he just promised me that they will get better. Additionally, he looks incredibly stressed and it might have something to do with his lack of job security. Is there anyway that we as Alumni can sound off and try and get this guy a contract??

On a side note, I was at the Stony Brook game last week and I waited around for Coach Brown to tell him job well done and he just promised me that they will get better. Additionally, he looks incredibly stressed and it might have something to do with his lack of job security. Is there anyway that we as Alumni can sound off and try and get this guy a contract??

I'm not sure what we can do as Alumni and fans besides support the program. I am sure that he is under tremendous stress. There is a lot of personal risk in his situation, there is also a lot of upside if he is successful.

It's not unlike being a General Manager of a struggling business who is hired to turn it around. You finally reach a point where the economic conditions improve, you have a good business plan and a good management team. There is nothing that you can tell the Board of Directors to make them understand any lack of success.

I have posted this previously - but UA has the most talent in the conference and this is not a strong conference. I think UA will be favorite in every conference game except the games at BU and at Vermont. They will win, he needs to make sure they continue to improve and the players have the same level of urgency that he does.

Reeder - I kinda agree with you.

But I now doubt we have the best talent.....

preseason on paper yes but......

Lucious has not been himself - 7.1ppg & 3.5rpg

Levi has been struggling - 7.4ppg & 3.7rpg

Iati hasn't shot well consistently

K 31% fts

Brent 34% fg & 33% from three

Jamar 26% from 3

Are these problems the coaches fault or are the players struggling on their own.

We don't have a player playing up to their potential consistently. These are the same players with the same Head Coach as in past seasons.

If somehow these guys play up to their past abilities then I would agree.

Coaches can't make FTs and coaches can't make open shots only players can, until they do we are beatable every night.

Our strength was suppose to be our guards and our perimeter shooting

Sacred Heart loss by 2 - 5 of 23 from 3

Siena OT loss 8 of 33 from 3

Harvard pounding 3 of 14 from 3

thats 16 of 70 - 21%

Not counting San Diego St, UCLA and Fla. we are 4-3 against mid to low DI schools lets hope we can start shooting the ball half way decent.

Yeah to add on to those flag guys they do get paid... the school has offered to pay me, back when I first started in 03'-04' and I turned it down... i rather that the money goes to something more useful... And if anyone out there can help me out I have asked everyone at the University and one can find the flag (It broke during the VT game last year) I hope we can get it for the Big Purple Growl becuase this will be the third year of me doing this and I think it really helps people to get more pumped up! Go Danes !!!!!!!!!

Yeah to add on to those flag guys they do get paid... the school has offered to pay me, back when I first started in 03'-04' and I turned it down... i rather that the money goes to something more useful... And if anyone out there can help me out I have asked everyone at the University and one can find the flag (It broke during the VT game last year) I hope we can get it for the Big Purple Growl becuase this will be the third year of me doing this and I think it really helps people to get more pumped up!  Go Danes !!!!!!!!!

10953[/snapback]

Get in touch with Rob Totaro in Athletics.

Well back in my hayday as an undergrad mainly the 02-03 and 03-04 seasons I used personally get the flag from Charlie and the Athletic department for almost every home game.  I promise you there is no way I was ever sitting in the Siena section, you can search for my previous posts on how I feel about our friends from Siena.  After I graduated there is one student generally in full body paint that I know has been seen with the flag a few times.

10950[/snapback]

Sorry Daneguy04. I should have said I've seen these guys with the flag a few times. You were THE Flag Guy back then. If you were the guy who used to run around the court during the timeouts you should have gotten paid. That always fired the crowd up and made the game a lot more fun. Many thanks to you, also to the current flag guy. With a bunch of home games coming up they have to get that flag fixed!

10950[/snapback]

Sorry Daneguy04. I should have said I've seen these guys with the flag a few times. You were THE Flag Guy back then. If you were the guy who used to run around the court during the timeouts you should have gotten paid. That always fired the crowd up and made the game a lot more fun. Many thanks to you, also to the current flag guy. With a bunch of home games coming up they have to get that flag fixed!

10956[/snapback]

To echo the comments of the current flag guy there is no need to get paid...a true fan does not need to get paid to support his team, guess that is yet another difference between Dane fans and Saints fans.

As for getting the flag I used to get it from Megan Buchannan but I understand she is no long with the University, my next guess would be Charlie Volker with the Athletic Department, he used to get the flag for the football games. Good luck and see you at the Purple Growl where it will "SUCK TO BU!!!!"

They might have in the past but I don't recall them doing it this year anyway. I thought one guy wore a big foam cowboy hat for a while which is why I remember him so well when I saw him at the Pepsi Arena.

Some of the posters on the Siena board have mentioned seeing them in both places also.

As for Charlie Volker... he thinks someone stole the flag... I miss that thing :( I love running around on the court and it said that I don't have it this year and I just loved making the other teams fans and team members pissed at the same time making the RACC blow up in Cheers and of course the WAVE!!!!!!! GO DANES

Ahhh good memories...I think we have plenty of lead time until the BPG and we have to get a new one before then. If funds are necessary perhaps the Alumni Association could pitch in or a grant from President Hall as he is clearly a pro-athletics president. Unfortunately I am not in Albany so good luck to those still in the area.