UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

VCU Game

Point-spread at the on-line sites currently have UAlbany getting 8.5 points. With UAlbany more rested (not having played for six days), and VCU having lost three out of four, including one two nights ago at Towson, I am taking the points and hoping for the best. I would have liked to have seen a common opponent between the two, but it didn't happen. My major concern is that VCU is very good on their home floor (11-1 this year, including ten in a row to start the season, with the only loss to conference leader George Mason).

Anyways, go Great Danes!

The line in the NY Post is +9. Wyland had a guy on his radio show today from some Vegas Sports Book who said the line there was +8 to +8.5. The guest said VCU likes to apply a lot of pressure on the guards and made it sound like we would have to protect the ball to have a chance. I'll be interested to see if Brian Lillis can handle real pressure; i can't really recall anyone pressing him before.

Sports Network has done a preview of the game tonight, and surprise! Surprise! The Network has UAlbany winning the game!

Here's their preview:

"The Sports Network

"DATE & TIME: Friday, February 17th, 7:00 p.m. (et).

"FACTS & STATS: Site: Alltel Pavilion at the Siegel Center (7,500) -- Richmond, Virginia. Television: ESPNU. Home Record: Albany 8-3, VCU 11-1. Away Record: Albany 7-5, VCU 5-7. Neutral Record: Albany 1-0, VCU 0-0. Conference Record: Albany 11-2, VCU 10-6. Series Record: First-ever meeting.

"GAME NOTES: The Albany Great Danes will hit the road for a late season non- conference affair, as they invade the Siegel Center in Richmond this evening, for a clash with the Virginia Commonwealth Rams. The Great Danes are an impressive 16-8 on the season and an even better 11-2 in America East Conference play. The team holds a one-game lead atop the AEC standings heading down the stretch. Albany brings an impressive six-game win streak into this contest and is coming off an 87-73 rout of Maine on the road last weekend. The Rams have also played well in their conference, sporting a 10-6 league ledger in the Colonial Athletic Association, good for a tie for fifth place. However, VCU has lost three of its last four games coming in, including a heart- breaking 59-57 decision at Towson on Wednesday. This is the first-ever meeting between these two teams.

"Jamar Wilson erupted for a season-high 30 points, in leading the Great Danes to their sixth straight win on February 11th. Wilson was 9-of-19 from the floor and 9-of-11 from the free-throw line in the game. Jason Siggers and Levi Levine had solid games as well, coming off the bench with 13 and 12 points, respectively. The Great Danes have had a great deal of success this season, despite averaging a rather modest 67.5 ppg. Defensively, the team has been top-notch, allowing just 63.9 ppg, on .423 shooting. Jamar Wilson is clearly the top offensive threat for the team at 17.6 ppg. Brent Wilson is the only other double-figure threat in terms of scoring average at 10.0 ppg.

"VCU buried itself at the half against Towson this week, shooting a mere .250 from the floor in the first 20 minutes and trailing at the break by a season- high 14 points. Guard Jesse Pellot-Rosa was the only bright spot offensively for the Rams, posting 12 points, on 5-of-10 shooting. The Rams are a mediocre offensive squad, but still boast a solid overall record due mainly to the team's play at the defensive end of the court. The Rams are netting a pedestrian 68.1 ppg, but holding foes to a mere 62.2 ppg. Forward Nick George leads the team in both scoring (16.7 ppg) and rebounding (5.1 rpg). B.A. Walker is the only other player in double figures with 12.1 ppg and leads the team with 54 three-pointers.

"The Rams have won 11 of 12 games at home this season, but the Great Danes are coming in red-hot. VCU may be the better team on most nights, but all the momentum is with Albany. A big road win could do wonders for the Danes as the postseason looms large in the near future.

"Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Albany 65, Virginia Commonwealth 62

02/17 10:15:14 ET"

I wish I could share the optimism of Sports Network, but I am going to go with VCU this time. They have a higher RPI than we, we are playing on their home court, and UAlbany is not sneaking up on an overconfident team tonight after VCU's loss this week at home. Nevertheless, we will make it close; we've been there before this season. VCU by 6.

I am not worried about Lillis; I do not think that anybody else plays with a tenth of that kid's heart.

I am however worried that Brent will get big eyes in a nationally televised game and start chucking up threes. In UAlbany's eight losses, he's shooting 25% from 3-point land. If his shooting is off again, it could be a long night. However, it seems that the concussion and Will Brown have him under a bit better control.

...As Siggers (the real X-factor) goes, so goes UAlbany.