UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena/MAAC/PepsiArena tournament

I'm trying to understand the particulars of this proposed tournament from reading posts on the Siena Board, since I have seen nothing about it anywhere else. The following is my understanding, and I would truely appreciate being corrected if I misunderstand:

The tournament would have 8 teams from 8 different conferences including Siena as the MAAC team and Albany as the AE team. It seems the other 6 teams could come from the Big East, A10, MAC, CAA, Patriot, NEC or Ivy. The 8 teams would be divided into 2 pools of 4 teams each. Each team would play a round robin within the pool and the 4th and final game would be a cross-over. The first 2 rounds would be plkayed on participants home courts (each team getting one home and one away game). The 3rd and 4th games would be played at the Pepsi in the form of two separate admission doubleheaders per day. Albany and Siena would not be in the same session for either the 3rd or 4th round. The first round would be on the weekend of Nov 10-12; the second round would be mid-week Nov 13-16 and the 3rd and 4th rounds would be on the weekend of Nov 17-19.

The Albany-Siena game would be a 2nd round game at the Pepsi on Wednesday, Nov. 15.

Since Albany is the visitor at the Siena game, i assume that we will get a home game at the RACC for the 1st round game. I think this means that within a 9 day period, we will get to see our team play 4 times, once at the RACC and 3 times at the Pepsi, which I view as a good thing.

To me, the negatives are having the Siena game mid-week. The Siena game has come to drawing a fair number of alumni from outside the Capital District; a midweek game reduces the possibility of people being able to travel in and also reduces the opportunities for pre and post game parties. Personnaly, I much prefer the game to be on a weekend or Friday night. The other negative is that, essentially our money will be going to support Siena.

I'm trying to understand the particulars of this proposed tournament from reading posts on the Siena Board, since I have seen nothing about it anywhere else.  The following is my understanding, and I would truely appreciate being corrected if I misunderstand:

The tournament would have 8 teams from 8 different conferences including Siena as the MAAC team and Albany as the AE team.  It seems the other 6 teams could come from the Big East, A10, MAC, CAA, Patriot, NEC or Ivy.  The 8 teams would be divided into 2 pools of 4 teams each.  Each team would play a round robin within the pool and the 4th and final game would be a cross-over.  The first 2 rounds would be plkayed on participants home courts (each team getting one home and one away game).  The 3rd and 4th games would be played at the Pepsi in the form of two separate admission doubleheaders per day.  Albany and Siena would not be in the same session for either the 3rd or 4th round.  The first round would be on the weekend of Nov 10-12; the second round would be mid-week Nov 13-16 and the 3rd and 4th rounds would be on the weekend of Nov 17-19.

The Albany-Siena game would be a 2nd round game at the Pepsi on Wednesday, Nov. 15.

Since Albany is the visitor at the Siena game, i assume that we will get a home game at the RACC for the 1st round game.  I think this means that within a 9 day period, we will get to see our team play 4 times, once at the RACC and 3 times at the Pepsi, which I view as a good thing.

To me, the negatives are having the Siena game mid-week.  The Siena game has come to drawing a fair number of alumni from outside the Capital District; a midweek game reduces the possibility of people being able to travel in and also reduces the opportunities for pre and post game parties.  Personnaly, I much prefer the game to be on a weekend or Friday night.  The other negative is that, essentially our money will be going to support Siena.

14105[/snapback]

StateFan-

I agree about the mid week game being a bad idea. I have no problem driving up for the game and then truning it back around the same day. During the week it is just not possible and the AMTRAK schedule does not accomodate us either.

I like the game the way it is now. Over the weekend.

SSS

I'm trying to understand the particulars of this proposed tournament from reading posts on the Siena Board, since I have seen nothing about it anywhere else.  The following is my understanding, and I would truely appreciate being corrected if I misunderstand:

The tournament would have 8 teams from 8 different conferences including Siena as the MAAC team and Albany as the AE team.  It seems the other 6 teams could come from the Big East, A10, MAC, CAA, Patriot, NEC or Ivy.  The 8 teams would be divided into 2 pools of 4 teams each.  Each team would play a round robin within the pool and the 4th and final game would be a cross-over.  The first 2 rounds would be plkayed on participants home courts (each team getting one home and one away game).  The 3rd and 4th games would be played at the Pepsi in the form of two separate admission doubleheaders per day.  Albany and Siena would not be in the same session for either the 3rd or 4th round.  The first round would be on the weekend of Nov 10-12; the second round would be mid-week Nov 13-16 and the 3rd and 4th rounds would be on the weekend of Nov 17-19.

Since Albany is the visitor at the Siena game, i assume that we will get a home game at the RACC for the 1st round game.  I think this means that within a 9 day period, we will get to see our team play 4 times, once at the RACC and 3 times at the Pepsi, which I view as a good thing.

To me, the negatives are having the Siena game mid-week.  The Siena game has come to drawing a fair number of alumni from outside the Capital District; a midweek game reduces the possibility of people being able to travel in and also reduces the opportunities for pre and post game parties.  Personnaly, I much prefer the game to be on a weekend or Friday night.  The other negative is that, essentially our money will be going to support Siena.

14105[/snapback]

StateFan-

I agree about the mid week game being a bad idea. I have no problem driving up for the game and then truning it back around the same day. During the week it is just not possible and the AMTRAK schedule does not accomodate us either.

I like the game the way it is now. Over the weekend.

SSS

14113[/snapback]

I'm not sure what has changed recently, but I recall the Times Siena article from a month ago quoting McElroy that he doesn't want the game to be during the week.

In the same article, I believe coach Brown said something about UA getting involved in 07-08, as this year's schedule is basically done.

Does anyone know if any of this has changed? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about speculation.

We can only be in the "event" once every 4 years.  I don't know what that means re the annual Siena game.

14128[/snapback]

Perhaps they can structure the contract to read that once every 4 years we play them in this tourney, the other 3 years the current format sticks. I don’t think the UA-Siena game is going anywhere, the AD’s involved both realize what a bid deal this is to the local area. Just look at how much conversations it’s generated amongst 100 people on our two boards. This is what college basketball is all about. I love it!

We can only be in the "event" once every 4 years.  I don't know what that means re the annual Siena game.

14128[/snapback]

Perhaps they can structure the contract to read that once every 4 years we play them in this tourney, the other 3 years the current format sticks. I don’t think the UA-Siena game is going anywhere, the AD’s involved both realize what a bid deal this is to the local area. Just look at how much conversations it’s generated amongst 100 people on our two boards. This is what college basketball is all about. I love it!

14129[/snapback]

I believe there is a measure being considered by the NCAA that would allow a team to play in one invitational tournament a year as opposed to 2 every 4 years (the "two in four" rule.) However, someone probably knows better than I.

Any game we play v. Siena should not be part of a tournament, especially their tournament.

14128[/snapback]

I believe there is a measure being considered by the NCAA that would allow a team to play in one invitational tournament a year as opposed to 2 every 4 years (the "two in four" rule.) However, someone probably knows better than I.

Any game we play v. Siena should not be part of a tournament, especially their tournament.

14131[/snapback]

True but the rule about appearing in the same event once in four years was not changed.