UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

And, we're in at 90

College Hoops Net preview

15672[/snapback]

Like several of the rest of you, I am feeling very conflicted (Normally, I don't like that word.) about the news coming from South Carolina and my attempt to continue normal activities, such as posting here.

I read through the analysis on College Hoops Net's view of UAlbany's team, and it looks like the analyst pretty accurately summarized UAlbany's challenges and opportunities, as well as where we've come from recently.

It's ironic that this analysis was posted today. The team owes a debt of gratitude to one of its greatest boosters. I wish Phyllis Hall and family the very best.

nice to see that some nerves on this board have been calmed ... i was expecting the #88 slot, but #90 is a ok ... best forecast from the write-up, "Projected Post-season Tournament: NCAA" ... the AE will be competitive for 06-07, should be fun for the fans ... a second go-round at the dance would be oh-so sweet ... it is only on paper, but how many would have thought just a few short years ago that we would be ranked in a national pre-season poll over the likes of Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Iowa, Wake Forest, Missouri, NC State, Temple, Miami, Providence, Utah, et al. ... congratulations to the team, coaching staff, and administration on the recognition

Like several of the rest of you, I am feeling very conflicted (Normally, I don't like that word.) about the news coming from South Carolina and my attempt to continue normal activities, such as posting here.

It's ironic that this analysis was posted today. The team owes a debt of gratitude to one of its greatest boosters. I wish Phyllis Hall and family the very best.  - olddog71

read the remarks from olddog71 after entering my own post, his sentiments are right on ... ditto

Edited by alumni '92'

I think that was an overall fair review of the potential and questions for Albany in the upcoming year. If we can get some solid play at the center spot we will be set. We are absolutely stacked on the wings and I am always a big fan of having some JUCO players on the roster. They step right in with experience and I thing knight and ross will be great for the team. I think we will have the flexibility to go big or small depending on who we are up against.

Anyone hear about the availability of tickets for the UConn game over thanksgiving weekend?

Anyone hear about the availability of tickets for the UConn game over thanksgiving weekend?

15679[/snapback]

As far as I know the arena has not yet been announced. UConn plays some games in Gampel pavilion and some in Hartford. I am hoping that it is in Gampel pavilion as I have seen games in the HCC before.

As far as being ranking number 90 in the preseason, that is nice but I rather be ranked in "the top 64" at the end of the season like last season.

Now that the team has already dealt with a season of high expectations, I expect them to get off to a better start than last season and show that last seasons loss to Loudonville was an upset.

Like most I don't put a lot of stock into preseason rankings. But it is nice to be ranked 39 places ahead of Loundonville. I would expect Loundonville will be a .500 team and UA will be contending for the NCAA tournament again.

bob87

Bob I am continually amazed at your spiteful views and feelings for our neighbors in Loudonville

I would expect Siena to be much better then .500 this season

....with Kenny H.(a lock for 1st Team All MAAC), D. Ryan, T. Fisher and Beers returning

....the addition of a healthy Haddix(1st Team All MAAC for sure)

....plus the best recruiting class in the MAAC highlighted by the outstanding E. Ubiles (a lock for "ROY" and an All MAAC candidate).

I wonder what role is expected of the 6'10" Carr from Wings Academy this season. There has been little mention of him and his awesome potential on the Siena site as of late.

What I do find interesting is the fact that the Siena faithful continually malign our efforts last season. What I find most interesting is that in 2004 UA had an RPI of 310 and in 2006 it had improved to 119.

Siena had an RPI of 125 (aided by playing in a much stronger conference last year) for 2006.

In fact in the last 6 seasons the best our well established neighbor has done RPI wise is 117 which makes our 2006 RPI of 119 look pretty decent for an upstart program.

Our main goal should be trying to improve our RPI and get back to the NCAAs.

Patch

My main point was not to dwell on Siena. Just point out that experts (we finished ranked higher than them last season) already have us rated higher than Siena in basketball just like we are rated ahead of them in virtually every other sport.

But it is nice to see stats that contradict Loundonville's supposed dominance. Thanks for taking the time to look them up.

BTW, I too expect Siena to be much better then .500 this season if and when they play all their games against NJIT. Since NJIT is only on Loundonville schedule twice, I will stick with .500 for them, maybe 2 games over.

I agree with you that our main goal should be trying to improve our RPI and get back to the NCAA's. Obviously part improving your RPI is winning most of the games on your schedule against lesser teams like Loundonville.

Edited by bob87

• 2 months later...
College Hoops Net preview

15672[/snapback]

It's been a while since anyone posted on this topic, but it might be worthwhile and fun to update this board on the list.

Collegehoops.net still has to bring up the last 21 of its list of what it believes are the 144 best men's college basketball teams for the coming season. I'm listing only the teams on our schedule for this season and our ranking.

33 - UConn

58 - Bucknell

90 - Ulbany

129 - Siena

Last year's opponent, San Diego State, was listed in this year's ranking at 50.

Evidently, Florida will be included in the teams remaining to be ranked.