UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It says the contest is for students, but it doesn't say if they will reject at-large names thrown out by the general public.

I think it would be a nice touch if they made it a girl Dane, since Damian is obviously a male. Although I suppose it could be Damian's "little brother" as well. But then you'd have a male mascot and a female, so that you could play both sides. Put it in a UAlbany womens' jersey for basketball games, etc.

Somewhat in that vein I would like to comment on the Dane logo. Why/who decided that a picture of Scooby Doo should be the official logo of the Great Danes? What were they thinking? We want to be taken seriously and we have a cartoon character as our logo. You know how hard it is for a grown man to wear apparel like that?

Could be worse, we could have Big Red of Western Kentucky br10.jpg

I thought the story was we didn't secure the copyright to the previous Great Dane logo. In the early 90's we sometimes used a silhouette logo that looked like it was copied off the mud flap of a Great Dane 18-wheeler.

A lot of schools have or have switched to cartoonish logos; marketing types may think they can sell more stuff to little kids if it's not as aggressive-looking.

Just to go to the Scooby comment, I really don't know how you would make a Great Dane that didn't look at least a little bit like Scooby Doo. Or Marmaduke, or something like that.

That doesn't mean it's a good logo, but I just don't know how you could do it without having it be "abstract" (a la Hartford's silhouetted Hawk) and not look like Scooby Doo.

MikeDanes04, I don't know that the baby Dane is necessarily a boy or a girl. I don't think they've said either way. The little brother angle is fine, but if you make it a baby girl Dane, then you (in theory) can draw in the girls/women fans. In theory. I don't think it being male or female will have any impact at all, but maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update as I'm sure you're all following this closely. They narrowed down the list of names to five.

Here they are:

1. Chance

2. D.J.

3. Lil' D

4. Scooter

5. Scrappy

6. Spirit

No way we can call him D.J. with D.J. Munir at Stony Brook. I kind of like Scooter or Lil' D. To vote email spirit@albany.edu