UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Scrimmage

I couldn't find the story online but there was one in the paper version of today's TU about the scrimmage with UMass. Sounded like they matched-up well as Brown was quoted that they more than held their own against the team picked second in the A-10. No score or stats could be given but he said Jamar was the best player on the floor.

I couldn't find the story online but there was one in the paper version of today's TU about the scrimmage with UMass. Sounded like they matched-up well as Brown was quoted that they more than held their own against the team picked second in the A-10. No score or stats could be given but he said Jamar was the best player on the floor.

17072[/snapback]

I don't have easy access to the paper version so I really appreciate your report.

I know that spectators aren't allowed, but does the media have the right to be present during these scrimmages, or does it simply schedule an interview with the coaches? Are the players allowed to comment on the match?

The media is not allowed inside, and in a story on the $iena scrimmage McCaffery said NCAA rules prohibit him from publicizing the game's score or any statistics.

17076[/snapback]

Thanks, UAalum72,

Right after I typed my question, I saw the link to the same article.

I was just wondering after having someone on another board give a very detailed report on the Hartford-Siena scrimmage - complete with a score. I was wondering how this observer, if not officially connected with either school, could be giving out so much information.

Thanks, again.

AMHERST - After Saturday night's closed scrimmage against Albany, University of Massachusetts men's basketball coach Travis Ford said his team has plenty of work to do to get ready for the regular season.

NCAA rules prohibit the score and statistics from being kept in preseason closed scrimmages, but Ford said his team did not play well.

The Minutemen were without both junior wing Etienne Brower, who was out with an ankle sprain, and senior big man Rashaun Freeman, who is sidelined with a hip injury. Ford used Chris Lowe, who is suspended for the team's exhibition game and season opener, sparingly.

Ford said he hopes to have Freeman back practicing in the next few days and Brower sometime next week.

''We didn't play that well,'' Ford said. ''We found more weaknesses than strengths. We had a hard time keeping their point guard (Jamar Wilson) in front of us and we didn't play one-on-one defense very well. A lot of guys struggled from the field. Gary Forbes didn't shoot very well, really nobody shot the ball well. They thought it was going to come easy and it didn't. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for some guys.''

Ford said Stephane Lasme was a bright spot and singled out Dante Milligan for praise.

''Dante played a lot more with Rashaun out and really made good use of his minutes,'' said Ford, who continued to experiment with different combinations. ''Stephane blocked a lot of shots. We're not allowed to keep stats, but he was our leading scorer I'm sure.''

Unlike last year where Ford did a full scouting report and normal game preparation for the team's closed scrimmage against Seton Hall, he approached this one differently.

''I wanted guys to go out there and try to figure things out for themselves without any preparation,'' Ford said. ''I wanted them to play by doing our thing.''

The Minutemen host Division II Bridgeport at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Mullins Center before opening the regular season at home against Dartmouth at 5 p.m. Nov. 11.